4

YEAR: 1964

-Heather's POV-

Mummy...daddy...where are we going? I hear the loud machines again. You know I don't like that flying thing daddy! Dad! Stop I don't want to go on it!

"Heather honey, please calm down," mum tried to sooth me.
"Here ye go sweetheart," dad handed me the plush octopus Uncle Richie gave me for Christmas, then he wrapped me in the purple blanket Uncle George gave me.

I...I...I'm sleepy...

***

Where are we? Why is it so hot? Mummy I don't like it here!

"America's weird," mum snarled.

America? Why are we here? There's a lot of water. Wow...

***

"Hey Heather," mum said, "do ye wanna go swim in the ocean?"
"Yes!" I cheered.
"Alright," she chuckled as she got me changed.

A few minutes later we all began walking down to the beach. Daddy sat under an umbrella with sunglasses and a hat. Mum did the same except she was in the ocean with me.

"Heather,"
"Yeah mum?"
"Wanna build a sand castle?"
"Yes!"
"Alright, stay here. I'll be right back. Okay?"
"Okay!"

Mum walked away to dad to grab a bucket so I just sat there so I wouldn't get lost. After a few minutes a boy came over to me and gave me an evil look.

"Hi!" I cheered. I smile and waved but he twisted his face and ignored me. I stood up and waddled over to him. "Hi!" I said again.
"Don't talk to me!" he yelled as he pushed me into the water; I let out a blood curling scream.

As I was pushed under, I began choking on water. I was no longer able to breathe or move. I was stuck there, paralyzed in the salty water.

"Heather!" Mum yelled as she ran back to me. "What happened?" she cried as she held my unconscious body.
"My son pushed her...she must've swallowed some water a-and choked on it. I'm so sorry,"
"Someone call an ambulance!" Dad yelled.
"Yer gonna be okay darlin," mum cried as she held me.

A few minutes passed and I was on my way to the hospital. I was drifting in and out of what the doctors were saying; all I really heard was, I'd be able to go home to Liverpool in a few days.

Mum, why are you crying? The doctor said I was okay...didn't he?

"We're gonna loose our baby," mum cried.

Loose me...what...no...I'll be okay...right?

***

"Julian, come on," Cynthia said.
"Wha?" he mumbled.
"Heather's in the hospital honey, come on, we're gonna go see her,"

Heather no! Is she okay? Come on mum! I need to see her! Come on!

"My god yer fussy today! Come on then," she picked him up and began driving to the hospital.

Heather! Is she okay! Mum I wanna see her!

"Hey Michelle...is it alright if we go in?" Cynthia asked.
"Mhmm," mum cried. "I'll take ye guys in," she dried her eyes and walked into my room. Cynthia walked over to my bed and placed Julian down at my feet.

Heather no...this can't be happening to you...

Hi Jules! I'm gonna be okay! I promise!

"What happened?" Cynthia asked.
"She choked on sea water, doctor said somethin about it posining her,"
"Is she gonna be okay?"
"Doctors said she won't live more than a month."