8

Friday 7th February, 2004

"James get the fuck down here" Lucas heard his mother yell. James groaned loudly and got out of bed and went downstairs. Lucas sighed and continued reading his book. A few minutes later his mother came upstairs with a bucket of water and trashed it on him.

"What the fuck?!" Lucas yelled in disbelief at his mom. She shook her head and walked out coming back in with a suitcase.

"Pack your shit" she dropped the suitcase and folded her arms glaring at Lucas, "You're 17 and your birthday is in a few days and you've brought nothing but problems to this family so you're leaving"

Lucas got up and got in his mothers face, "It's my fault Micheal lost his job? My fault he came home and beat you half to death? My fault he put a strain on this family? I've suffered black eyes, nightmares, broken ribs, a broken nose and a whole lot of problems trying to save YOUR FUCKING ASS!! And what do I get? I get treated like shit for trying to save you? I got that gun and shot him for YOU! I was willing to go to jail for YOU! But I fucked this family up? You had many chances to leave for your safety and ours but I'm the bad child. It's okay cause I'm fucking done. I hate you!" 

By the end of his rant his mother had tears streaming down her face but he didn't care. He grabbed the suitcase and packed the little bit of clothes he had along with his books and school supplies. He grabbed his phone and closed the suitcase and walked out ignoring his mother's sobs.

"Where are you going?" April asked getting up from the couch. He pushed past her leaving the house slamming the door behind him.

Lucas walked for a few blocks until he got to Trey's house. He rang the doorbell and Momma April opened the door.

"Oh Lucas what happened? She said taking in my soaked appearance" he stared at her then broke down crying, "Please Momma can I stay here? My mother kicked me out because she felt like I brought nothing but problems"

Momma April stared at him then opened the door motioning for him to come in. He walked inside and saw Trey and Forrest playing the game. Trey paused the game and got up giving Lucas a hug. Forrest simply nodded and continued the game.

"Trey go show Lucas to the guest room and  Forrest get off that damn game and go clean your room. Lucas when you're done come downstairs to the dining room with everybody"

Lucas nodded and followed Trey and Forrest upstairs.

After Lucas got settled in, they all went downstairs and sat at the dining table. Momma soon joined and sat down.

"So Lucas. I want you to tell us what happened. You know we are like a second family to you so don't feel like you can't tell us anything"

Lucas nodded and told them the story. Momma shook her head as Lucas silently cried. Trey stared at the wall and Forrest stared at Lucas.

"That woman is stupid. No offense but you're not going back there Lucas. This woman is clearly crazy" Momma April said to herself more than to Lucas, "Well before we eat dinner, I'm setting some ground rules. It's not much so don't worry. One, No parties when I'm gone unless you clear it with me, curfew is 12 in the morning no later. Two, No bringing any females into my house. Go to a motel and always use protection. Three, No fighting or cussing. Four, Clean up after yourself cause I'm not gonna do it. Five, Get a job. You all are grown now and need to be making your own money. Forrest already has a job so Trey and Lucas you better find one. Understood?"

Lucas smiled and leaned over hugging Momma.

"Thank you so much"

"Your welcome son"