Chapter 1

The bar is always busy this time of night, people rushing in and out, a loud clamor fills the air. The cooks in back calling for orders, rows of men in front of the one small T.V. yelling and occasionally letting out giant cheers, with exaggerated waving and dance moves as their favorite team scores a point. Children screaming because they can't have their dessert RIGHT NOW, or maybe because they are too tired to feel any other emotions. Even through the noise and calamity, the Cavalier Street Bar was an amazing place to go on Wednesday nights. It was the site of people celebrating their 21st birthdays by getting drop-dead hammered, small groups of friends out for a drink and to converse about the latest news. As always, you were there, in the same small, black, corner seat, just like every Wednesday night.

Just like every Wednesday night, you were on your laptop, using as much of the free wifi you could. Since you normally run straight through your monthly internet allowance in your apartment, you have long since discovered it was not only a refreshing break from your home, but a golden opportunity to go the bar and edit your videos. You had a YouTube channel, with a solid 20 subscribers as of last night. What a milestone! Tonight, you were editing your 20 subscriber vlog in celebration of your achievement. The editing was nothing special, just cutting out boring parts. You didn't know how to do the big edits, like all the stars of YouTube do, but you do what you can.

Around 9, the bar is much less packed, since it was a Wednesday evening. Only a few groups are left. In one corner, three men drink and laugh, there were loud girls dressed very scantily giggling and flirting with a obnoxious group of college aged football players, who hooted back to the girls. You make the final edits, set the video to upload, and leave our laptop to upload the video as you pay the bill at the counter. When you return to your laptop, the video has uploaded, so you pack it up and head to the door. Your apartment is close to your work, the general store, and a few little shops. As a result, you see no need to have a vehicle. You begin walking down the street, a light breeze sifts through the air. The yellow light of the streetlights illuminates the surrounding area, however, only in spots, leaving areas of darkness between each lampost. Even though you walk at night often, you always felt nervous in the dark.

The walk from your apartment to the bar is your longest, reaching lengths of almost an hour on bad days. The wind has slowly increased, within ten minutes, the wind was very powerful, making it difficult to walk straight. Sensing a storm coming, you pick up your pace trying to beat the storm. Soon, rain began to fall, torrenting harder and harder, until it is difficult to see three feet in front of you. You are drenched to the bone, and shaking. You hug your laptop case, hunched over, and try to protect it from the rain. You still have at least 40 minutes until you are home. The wind switched direction and blows the rain directly into your face, pushing you over the brink with frustration and you begin to cry. You are cold, drenched, only half way home, and the dark feels as if it is creeping closer. Looking up, you can see tree, which you huddle underneath, shivering and crying your eyes out over the anger at the situation.