Chapter 17

Instantly after Chloe fell to the ground Nick was by her side with all the moms, and Abby behind them. Melissa was on her phone calling the paramedics as Nick lifted Chloe up off the ground, and into his arms. 

After Melissa had gotten off the phone she told Nick to take Chloe out to the main lobby of the building where the paramedics were going to come, and take her to the hospital. Nick nodded, and ran out the door. He kept a firm grip on Chloe, but not enough to hurt her. He continued to run all the way until he was in the main lobby. He sat down in one of the many plush chairs scattered around the big open space. 

Nick sat Chloe on his lap, and held her close to him. He kissed her forehead before pulling away, and looking at her. Chloe looked nothing like herself. Her skin was a deadly pale, and her hair that had once been perfectly styled was strewn all across her face. Nick brushed the loose strands of hair away from her face, and kissed her forehead again.

"Please Chloe. You have to wake up." Nick murmured. He was worried, and now with the way Chloe looked it only made him more worried that her brain tumor could be back. A few seconds later he heard the shouts paramedics looking for Chloe. He walked over to them quickly, and handed Chloe off to them. Nick saw Abby walking up behind him, and looked at her. 

"Nick, I need you to go to the hospital with her because I need to stay here with the other girls along with the moms. I'll also need to call Christi, and inform her of what happened." Abby spoke sternly. 

Nick nodded letting Abby know he understood before jumping into the ambulance with Chloe. He held her hand all the way to the hospital, and when they finally got there they rushed Chloe straight into the emergency room, and away from Nick. He was forced to sit in a very uncomfortable chair in the waiting room while they did tests on Chloe. He decided this would be a good time to call Christi. 

He dialed Christi's number, and after three rings she finally picked up. "Hello?" Christi spoke her voice sharp, and very clear. 

"Hi, Christi this is Nick." After he said this Nick felt like a complete idiot. Of course she knew it was him. She had caller ID, and could probably tell it was him just from his voice. 

"Hey Nick, what's up? How's the competition going?" Christi asked, and Nick immediately felt bad. 

"Yeah...Not so good." He trailed off.

"Why? What's wrong?" She asked him growing a little worried. 

Nick took a deep breath. "Chloe's in the hospital." He said his voice cracking towards the end. 

Christi was silent for a few minutes letting what Nick had just told her sink in. "Oh my God. I'll be there as soon as possible." Christi said. Nick gave her the name of the hospital, and then hung up. 

Nick looked around the waiting room trying to pass some time, and take Chloe off his mind for a while. That never happened though. Chloe was always on his mind. He loved her. Nick knew they could never be together because of the age difference, but that didn't stop him from loving her.

A few hours later Nick heard his name called, and he looked up to see the doctor that had taken Chloe into the emergency room. 

"How is she?"  He asked.

"Follow me." The doctor said in a deep voice. Nick nodded, and followed the doctor down a dark hallway. He then noticed that they were in the ICU wing. 'Oh my God.' Nick thought. He was growing more, and more worried by the second. The doctor finally stopped at the end of the hallway. He guided Nick into the last room on the left, and what he saw absolutely mortified him. 

Chloe was hooked up to more machines then she was before. She had dark bags which he hadn't noticed before under eyes, and all together she looked weak, and very frail. The doctor checked her machines, and Nick took a seat by her bed. The doctor walked out of the room a minute later, and Nick grabbed Chloe's hand. He gave it a little squeezed, and held back the tears that were threatening to spill over onto his cheeks. 

A few hours later he heard fast footsteps coming down the hallway, and soon enough Christi appeared in the doorway. When she saw Chloe she gasped. "My poor baby." She whispered going over, and brushing Chloe's hair back. 

"What's wrong with her?" Christi asked Nick, and Nick just shrugged. 

"They haven't told me yet." Nick whispered. As soon as he said this the doctor walked into the room. Christi introduced herself as Chloe's mother, and looked at the doctor hoping to find out what was wrong.

"Well, I have some bad news." The doctor said, and Nick closed his eyes bracing himself for what the doctor was going to say. He already knew what he was going to say he could feel it. 

"And what would that news be" Christi asked worriedly. 

"Chloe's brain tumor is back." The doctor said which made Christi, and Nick's mouth drop open in horror, and shock.