Chapter 24

Brandon's POV

I wasn't dreaming. We kissed last night and it gave me a hard time sleeping. I didn't think that she'd have that kind of passion. Was it just a spur of the moment? I don't think so. That kind of kiss had some hint of longing. I felt that Calleigh was really at the verge of asking to have a certain kind of connection but doing that wasn't as easy as 1-2-3.

She was the girl for crying out loud and I understood that she wasn't still really on board with what I had in mind for the both of us but I was hoping that someday she'd see the light of things. I had the same feeling the first time that Tim told me about her. 

"Brand, I want you to look after my girl," he said. He was already frail. What used to have youth and vigor was now lying on bed with nothing but frailty and was slowly fading right before my eyes. 

"I can promise you that, Tim. I'll look after her. That's all I-" he interrupted my reply when he coughed and I tried to assist him in catching his breath. 

"You know what I mean, Brand. I know you. You can make her happy more than I did..." he took a long exasperated breath. "I know you can love her more than I did."

I shook my head in disapproval. I have never met Calleigh in person. All I knew about her was that she was working as an editor in one of the magazines in town. She was one of the socialites in town who dreaded to live under the spotlight and despite her family's status, she refused to live by spending her parents' money. Tim told me that instead of asking her parents to give her the finest accommodation that money could afford, she stuck with the economical ones like her apartment for instance. She may have bought it in one of the most high end parts of the city but it was developed from scratch. She used the money she earned when she started in the magazine and eventually made a name for her own. 

"Why are you doing this Tim?" I asked. I couldn't ask the logic behind this request. 

"It's because I know you are capable of love, Brandon. I trust you to take care of her as much as I would if only I had enough time. Give her the love that she deserves."

"How is this going to work, huh Tim? Tell me!" My voice was now slightly raised. There was no way I could refuse this request. I didn't want to put myself in this kind of position but I owed Tim a lot. 

"I'll find a way. Just trust me. All you have to do is trust me."

I thought about that day and where it brought me now. Come to think of it, the first time I saw Calleigh was when I attended the last service for Tim in the chapel. I tried to keep myself hidden from the eyes of the people that knew the both of us. I was wearing a dark coat and stayed in the darkest corner of the chapel near the altar and I saw her there crying.

Seeing her like that, something in me told me that I had to keep my promise to Tim. Something in her was pulling me. It was like a force that urged me to open my thoughts about what we could be in the future. She needed a shoulder she could lean on and a heart that she could depend on. All of a sudden I felt that I had that heart that she could depend on. But at that time, I had to keep myself hidden. 

I sat in the living room waiting for Calleigh to arrive. I haven't seen her the whole day technically because she woke up earlier than me and Maggie told me that she left early to spend time with her future sister-in-law. I wasn't aware that Anthony already had a fiancee. The sun was about to set and then I stood up and went nearer to the window to witness it, leaning on the frame for support. All this thinking made me grab a cup of tea to calm me down. With everything in its place, I was hoping to find more light in what Tim really wanted from me. Then I heard the door open. I knew it was her. 

I turned to look at her. She just stood there looking at me holding me as a captive to her loving gaze. There was no other way to just show her how I missed her that day. With all the thoughts that I had, all I wanted to do was to hold her and kiss those lips that  made me want her more. I went up to her, leaving the cup on the table, and did what I  wanted. I held her face softly and looked into her eyes deeply before kissing her chastely. This kiss has sealed my fate to her and I hope that she's able to feel that. It was my way of telling her that I am willing to do everything for her. 

"Where did you go?" I asked.

"I had some catching up to do with my future sister-in-law and my brother."

I nodded and grabbed her hand to bring her to where I stood. I placed her in front of me and held her close by wrapping an arm around her to keep her still. It felt right to have her near me like this. I felt her lean against me as we watched the day end together. The soft hues of red and orange were slowly shifting to a shade of purple and pink. I can already picture us sharing a thousand sunsets together. And I can never thank Tim enough for bringing us together. 

I swear to do whatever I can to win the heart of this woman standing in front of me. I knew that this attraction was beyond physical. It was like she just pushed her way through the emotional barriers that I've kept behind the walls for so long and all I know that this was what they called love. Yes. Love.