Chapter 48

Calleigh's POV

Most of my days were spent in the hospital looking after Brandon. He healed up pretty fast and after a week of being cooped up in his room, he was allowed to go home by his doctor. I was more than happy to accompany him back to our home. He was hesitant at first to be going home with me. When I asked him what it was that was bothering him, he refused to tell me. At first I thought, he was growing tired with how things turned out for us. I was guessing that he was frustrated and that 90% of the time, he was blaming himself for what happened to me.

I don't blame Brandon. Not even one bit. If there was one person who was to be blamed, it was his mother. She wasn't deserving of the title. What kind of a mother would abandon her own child just for her comfort? I shook the negative vibe as I helped Brandon settle in the bed. He was already able to stand by himself yet he still had to deal with the dull pain when he moves. The doctors told me that it was natural but if the pain was too much, we had to rush him back to the ER.

He was now lying on the bed and he was trying his best not to meet my eyes. I know he was trying to avoid me. Since the day that we arrived, he wasn't talking much and I was wondering what was going on his mind. I was trying to let it pass but I guess this has gone way too far.

"Okay, I keep getting this feeling that you are not telling me something. Spill it, Brand."

He still refused to look at me and reached for his book on the side table and opened it. He wasn't going to give me any kind of answer. Feeling outraged by his reaction, I grabbed the book and dropped it on the floor.

"Can you just please, look at me straight in the eyes for one second," I begged. He finally looked at me with eyes telling me that he was in pain. Not physically at least.

"What's wrong?"

"What's wrong? You really want to know?" he asked as he dragged his eyes away from me.

"Yes."

"We can't be together anymore, Cal. I'm going to move out once my wound has healed. I can't be with you."

This was unbelievable. He was giving up on us.

"No, you just can't say that. I love you, Brandon. Doesn't that mean anything to you?"

He tried to stand up. I went up to help him but he gave me a sign that he didn't want to be helped. He grimaced as he felt a slight pain.

"I love you too Cal. I love you so damn much that I'd be willing to take more bullets for you but we just can't be together."

"Who told you that?" I asked feeling exasperated.

"It's nobody."

"Tell me!"

"You Dad! Your Dad told me that once we get you safe, I shouldn't be near you anymore." He stood in front of me know. He was heaving yet he was talking to me in hushed tones. His anger was really kept at bay. "I put your life in danger, Cal. And even if I love you, that wouldn't be enough for him. He thinks I can't keep you safe."

And there it was. This was all my father's doing. He was struggling the whole time because of their deal. I knew he didn't want to be apart from me. I didn't want to be apart from him. We just had to be together.

"I don't care what my Dad thinks, Brandon. I only care about being with you for the rest of my life."I hugged him carefully and pulled his face close to mine. "I can't live without you. I won't survive."

He held me close to him, ignoring the pain that was making him wince once in a while. I pressed my lips against his, pouring all my love into that kiss. I hope he felt it. I hope that deep in his heart, he would be able to know how much I love him.

"Calleigh," he whispered. "You are my life. You are my person and without you, I am nothing. Your love has made me alive again."

Pulling away from him, I smiled and wiped the tears that escaped his eyes.

"Yours has made me believe that I can love again."

He cupped my face in his hands and I leaned in closer to relish the closeness. I missed this. I missed the intimacy. I missed the way that he would hold me close. I missed the way that we would cuddle in bed after making love or when we just want to talk our hearts out.

"I got an idea," he whispered.

"What?"

"Let's get married."

"What?"

"Now. Let's drive to the nearest church and get hitched."

This was sudden yet I don't mind even one bit.

"Okay. Let's do it."