Chapter 8 - The Masquerade Ball

Author's Note:

Sorry I kept you guys waiting for this chapter. It's a little long this time on the request of one of my awesome reader and critic. I am hoping you'll like it as much thought has been put into this.

Important: Two real life places from São Paulo have been mentioned in this chapter but only for the purpose of this story and nothing else!

---------------------------------------------------

The limo halted and we all filed out. We were at the Renaissance Sao Paulo Hotel. It had a red carpet leading to the huge ball room and the whole pathway was decorated with real flowers, ribbons, glittery fabric drapes, candle stands and sparkling decorations.

It was beautiful, the way it all gave a royal look. My gang and I were walking down the carpet with utmost grace with our chins up, showing off our designer gowns and accessories.

The Amazonia Ballroom was exquisite; decorated again with the same flower and ribbon theme. Golden and silver decorations glistened under the huge chandelier which was hung over the huge marbled floor in the middle of the hall. Waiters were the only ones without the masks and were serving bite-sized appetizers and various alcoholic drinks repeatedly.

There was a huge table with the traditional wine glasses tower set up filled with wine just next to the amazing bar. Light music played in the background as apparently the hosts and the event managers were preparing to begin the event.

We sat at our reserved table and the girls were chatting away. I was quietly sipping down my champagne. I was a little uncomfortable at the way men were giving me 'the looks' and smiling down at me. I would just give them my signature 'what the hell' face, though deep inside I was pretty uncomfortable at the gazes and as if something was on my face. Is my dress too much?

If Jared was here today, I wouldn't have been this uncomfortable. He would have made every second count, making me laugh, telling me how pretty I look, touching me lovingly that gave me tingles and butterflies in my stomach. I miss him. I know he's in a better place than me but I wanted him to be with me right now and everyday of my life.

The presenter for the night stepped onto the stage and started thanking the people who were here for the noble cause. Then she asked us to line up in the centre of the hall. Girls were on one side and boys on the opposite. Oh my God, so many people!!!

All the ladies looked amazing, like they just stepped out of a fairytale book. And each one of the girl was wearing a beautiful mask complimenting their amazing dresses. On the other hand, the guys...well what can I say? They all looked like hunks, hot in black, grey, white tuxedos.

What? I got female hormones in my body and a pair of eyes, people! Don't judge me!

"Vocês todos olhar surpreendente, Senhoras e Senhores Deputados. Ok now I would like each of the handsome gentlemen to choose a lady randomly to be their partner for tonight. You will be dancing together, eating together and basically giving each other a good time. The happier you are, the more votes you get and the more you earn for the charity. The one who wins at the end of the night will get to go to the decided charity facility and spend a day with them, helping them out without any rules and regulations from the organization. In addition, the winning couple would receive a complimentary dinner for two at the beautiful Restaurante Figueira Rubaiyat, divertir-se!"

"Shit shit shit...." I was saying with gritted teeth. I must leave now before anyone approaches. This is just stupid. What the hell were they thinking? Such a lame idea! Make them laugh and pretend laughing to get money? Who could think of something that stupid and childish? Makes no friggin sense! Ok ok ok, calm down Sammy. Take a deep breath and walk away quietly.