Chapter 12: Who is Nate?

Hi guys,

I am really sorry i have been away for so long but i had my vacations and we went to US to visit my Aunt and then the new year started at university. Life's been tough! I know this chapter is kinda small but i promise to make the next chapters longer! Plz comment and vote. 

I really appreciate it!

________________________________________________

Recap:

Samantha and Nate visit the Burns center and for the first time in a long while Sammy found herself enjoying herself and laughing. Nate and her together arrange for a romantic dinner date for two very shy patients at the center who are clearly attracted to each other. By the end of the trip Nate manages to ‘persuade’ Samantha for a dinner that weekend. Though the day goes by as a fun filled adventure, Sammy seeks refuge at the old church to as memories from her past leave her wounds anew.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nate’s POV: (Yayy) 

I woke up to rattling noises and kids crying. Rubbing my eyes I stretched in bed and jumped right out. Flexing my neck I walked towards my bathroom as I blissfully heard that ‘crack’. “Ah, that feels better” I murmur to myself. 

Getting out of my boxers I take a nice shower, brush my teeth and head for breakfast downstairs dressed in a casual long sleeved navy blue tee rolled up to my elbows and pale blue washed jeans.

“Morning, Ma!” I kissed her cheek as I sat on the kitchen stool.

Mother turned around and put in some pan-hot bacon and eggs on a plate placed in front of me. “Good Morning, Son. Want me to pack you some lunch?”

“No thanks. I’ll just grab your awesome banana milkshake and head out. You take care of yourself.” I gave her a side hug and drank down the heavenly milkshake.

The sun was rising as I stepped out of the house. I inhaled deeply, letting in the scents of my surroundings take over my mind. The birds chirping, squirrels digging, the rustle of the leaves as the wind gracefully flows by. I can hear and feel everything.

I heard the crunch of leaves as someone approaches. “Alpha, I found the information you wanted about that girl.”

I turned around to my beta standing before me with his head bowed in respect, “Good work, Max. Get my laptop and files ready, I’ll just have a round to check up on the new pups and the training area.” Max nods and hurries into the pack house.

I walked towards the clearing at a good distance from the pack house, securely hidden by the dense forest. Snarls and angry growls disrupt the silence of the forest. As I get closer and have a better view, I can see a number of pairs fighting either in wolf form or in human form on the west side. While on the east side, one of the senior wolves was making the new pups run on the track being timed, to build their stamina.

“Hey, Charlie. How are they doing?”

“Alpha”, the trainer bows in respect, “the first transformation has drained them. Like you ordered, we began with the training after two resting days. All of them are very attentive and eager to learn. I will increase their number of rounds each day to increase their stamina before we start with combat training. Any new orders, alpha?”

I smiled, genuinely happy to see the newly transformed werewolves striving hard and happy with the training schedule. “I am very pleased, Charlie. Keep it up!” I pat him on the back and speak out loud, “Train hard, kiddos!”

“Yes, sir Alpha” The voice of the young ones boomed and I grinned turning around towards the house. I changed into a fresh white button down shirt, a loose maroon tie around my collar and perfectly ironed black dress pants. Picking up my bag, files and coat I moved out and hopped into my black Audi r8 and headed for work.

I am Nate Angelo, Alpha of the Ultimo Pack and an architect. Since I was a bright student, a famous architectural company offered me a job before I even finished my architectural degree. In a very short time my designs were taking forms of concrete, bricks and cement around the city. 

My pack was the last one existing. Only my mom and I were left, injured and homeless; it took us months to find a decent room to call it our own. Those were tough times when we had to work our asses off to be able to get something sufficiently edible twice a day. My mom had to go through the burden of raising me and the immense grief of her mate’s death. Not many survive the depression and the loneliness, which follows when a mate’s bond is broken which can be due to death or rejection. Since the death of my father, the former Alpha, I have never seen my mother genuinely smile. That smile that reaches your eyes and lights up your face. 

She used to work all day to make sure I continue my studies. I worked after my school as a bartender at a popular club in town. Then after a while worked my way up owning that same club. After taking over, I had a lot of time on my hands to concentrate on my studies and thinking about my pack. Every weekend I used to change into my pitch black, large, shiny, werewolf and go for really long runs in search of any survivors after the Attack. There weren’t any. I couldn’t even trace any offspring of our pack’s people. I was miserable. Hopeless. Defeated. 

As time passed, I revealed my secret to my trustworthy close friends. It’s fortunate to say that they were really impressed and wanted to be werewolves too. Werewolves are either born with the were-gene or are bitten. The born ones are naturally more powerful and strong. It took years but gradually numbers began to increase, as it was our duty to save humans in case of any accidents or tragedies. Many had been bitten in cases of severe car accidents or life-threatening conditions. Some were too fascinated and came up themselves to be bitten. Years passed and families grew and reproduced quickly. Reproducing readily and a lot is one of the many traits famous for werewolves along with possessiveness, protectiveness and animal instincts.

When the architectural internship followed by permanent job came in effect, money began flowing in. Together with the ample money from the club and my salary, I was able to build a huge pack house in the middle of the town’s forest. Instead of building a separate school for the were-kids, they were encouraged to blend in and study in a human school. Every adult man and woman was encouraged to study if they wanted to or seek for employment. This was necessary for the good of the pack. At this moment every family is well fed and clothed; I am earning hefty loads and can support the whole pack’s finances. But as they all are doing pretty good, I get to save a lot.

Back to the present time

I parked in the parking lot of the company’s garage and walked to the elevator, making my way up to the 12th floor to my office. I had to finish proofing a couple of designs for my clients this afternoon. I was lucky to have escalated quickly in my career that I managed to build up my own architectural company and hired a few senior while a lot of new graduates architects on my team.

I liked work. Kept my mind off of pack troubles and the thought of…Samantha. I quickly finished off the designs and ushered them to be filed in and ready for the meeting. I opened my bag and pulled out the vanilla folder containing details of Samantha.