Chapter 7, Scene 2

Simon sat on the soft grass under the massive oak tree in the park, absentmindedly eyeing the families and friends that either picnicked nearby or just walked past, looking for just that perfect spot to unpack and spend the next few hours.

It was a good day. The leaves on the huge tree filtered the rays of the sun which made peculiar patterns on Simon's arm.

And why should we trust you? Rick's voice echoed in Simon's mind. How do we know you're not nuts? How much money do you want?

Simon sighed. He wasn't even sure at the time that little Timmy would actually open his eyes. He merely went on faith and obedience, fighting the doubt in his mind and the butterflies that fluttered furiously in his stomach. Even with all his faith, he too was just as amazed as Timmy's parents to see the cardio monitor beep to life.

'Why am I like this?' Simon whispered to the all-present Creator. 'Why did You give me these abilities?'

The wind passed through the branches of the trees, rustling the leaves gently.

Simon looked at the book lying next to him. He figured that there was going to be no reading today. One needed a certain motivation to pick up a novel and continue from where one left off. Simon had no motivation today. His mind raced with unanswered questions and doubt. The reality of what happened still vividly haunted his thoughts.

A shriek pierced through the void of Simon's thoughts and he looked up. The shriek was followed by the laughter of a little girl as she playfully ran away from her pursuing father. Without much effort the father scooped up the girl in his arms and whooshed her through the air much to her delight. She approved verbally with another shriek and more laughter.

Simon smiled.

Out there was a little boy called Timmy who would be able to share the same type of experiences with his father. He had been given a second chance, and Simon somehow knew that both the boy and the father would make the most of it. Simon blinked hard and wiped at the wet spot on his cheek with the back of his hand. He took a deep whiff of morning air and picked up the novel. He smiled. It seemed that today would indeed be a good day to read.