Chapter 12, Scene 3

Rebecca sat on the couch with her face in her hands. She didn't know what to believe anymore. Was Justin having an affair? Should she just leave him and get it over with? Did Dominic really care for her and the baby as much as he claimed that he did, or was it merely an infatuation? Did she really like Dominic enough to cheat on her husband? Tit for tat, Tanya would say. Rebecca switched on the television. She desperately needed companionship right now.

'People of Kelwick are baffled about the heat wave that has been ravaging the small town for the past five months. Many have been hospitalised due to dehydration and heat stroke, and many more have been treated with severe sunburn.'

She muted the television. White noise would have to do.

A soft knock on the door made her jump. She instinctively knew who it was, and as she walked down the corridor she secretly hoped that she was right. She opened the door to find flowers blocking her view from whoever was at the other side. So many flowers.

'A kiss-and-make-up present for the most wonderful lady on earth,' Dominic said.

Rebecca held her hand to her mouth and then stepped aside and let him in.

'Where can I put this?' he asked.

She had no idea. 'Put them on the table for now,' she said. 'I'll deal with them in a moment.'

'Do you like them?' Dominic asked.

'I love them,' she said. 'Thank you.'

Dominic just smiled.

'What on earth are they for?'

'Just a gift,' he said. 'It's my way of apologizing for upsetting you the other day.'

'No need to apologize,' Rebecca said. 'I just had a lot on my mind lately, that's all.'

'That's a relief to know,' he said. 'For a moment there I figured that I lost a wonderful friendship.'

'Not at all,' said Rebecca while she smelled the flowers.

'I'm glad you feel that way,' Dominic said. He extended his arms for a hug and Rebecca accepted. The hug went on for longer than it should have. She felt butterflies in her stomach and her heart pounded her chest. When she looked up at him she was still held firmly in his embrace, and he in hers. Without saying anything, the two of them brought their lips together and kissed.