Chapter 12

Tris' POV

Like promised, Mr. Hamilton called Jack with the details for the public bidding. Tobias and I are currently on our way to my parents' estate. Jack will meet us there and Karen, who will represent my firm, will arrive separately. Jack told us that he was told that Mr. Hamilton will represent Caleb during the defamation trial and that Caleb is furious, so we should expect him to throw a tantrum.

When we arrive we park the car and walk up the path way to the front door. Jack is already waiting for us and hands us a brochure. Only a few people came to the bidding, although I didn't expect many. Caleb and Mr. Hamilton made sure to make this legal but as private as possible. They think they can trick me, but they have another thing coming.

"Everything ready?" I ask Jack.

"Yes," he says smirking. "Let's get inside." We enter and he leads us into my old living room. Tobias and I were here yesterday and I cried a little, remembering the few years I spend in this house. I didn't take anything, since even if I don't get the house, which I doubt, I still have until the new owner moves in to retrieve anything I cherish.

I see Caleb and Cara standing near the window and try to ignore their glares. Tobias puts his hand on the small of my back leading me in the front to take a seat. I see Karen from the corner of my eye, but don't greet her. No one needs to know we know each other. I sit down and Tobias sits to my left, while Jack to my right. On the opposite wall sit Caleb and Cara, both still looking as if they could kill me. Then I spot someone I didn't think I would see again. Cara's father. He sits down on Cara's left. He looks briefly at me and whether he wanted to or not he smirks triumphantly.

A thought crosses my mind. I take out my phone and send Karen a text. She soon texts back telling me she understood.

"What is it?" Tobias and Jack whisper at the same time. I chuckle and they seem to realize the situation too.

"It seems like I found who wanted the house so badly," I say.

"Who?" Jack asks.

"Don't look, but on the other side, next to Cara, is her father. I bet you anything that he is the buyer. I bet he wanted to buy the house and give it to Caleb and her, as a wedding gift or because she is pregnant. I remember Will telling me his father wanted to give them a house but he didn't find one Cara liked. I bet you anything this is the house he wants to give them," I say and Tobias squeezes my hand a little too hard. He immediately lets go and apologizes.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't worry, I'm fine. If I wanted the house before, now I want it even more. I just texted Karen to spend whatever amount to get it."

"Are you sure?" Tobias asks.

"Yeah. When we get home I will show you something. It'll explain a lot. I hope you don't mind I didn't show you this earlier," I say bashful.

"Whatever it is, it's fine."

Just then Mr. Hamilton, the attorney, announces the opening of the bidding. He presents the house, explaining its real estate value to the people gathered here. After a short section of Q&A he starts the bidding.

"We'll start at 900.000 dollars," Mr. Hamilton says. Cara's father raises his hand. I knew it. Busted. "Does anyone offer more?"

"1.2 million," Karen says. Everyone looks at her.

"Alright," the lawyer says a little surprised. Huh, didn't see that coming, did you Caleb? "Does anyone offer more?" he says and glances at his brother.