Explination

I sat in the center of my bed with my chin resting on my knees for what felt like eternity, but knew it was more like five or six minutes. I couldn't hear anyone talking downstairs. It was eerily silent and it was starting to scare me. I knew that my dad was angry, but I just hoped he didn't do anything to hurt Connor. And for Connor's sake, I hoped he wasn't saying anything stupid that would get him into more trouble than what he probably already is.

I jumped when I saw my door swing open. My dad's eyes were calmer and he didn't seem like he was angry anymore.

He came to sit on my bed and rested a hand on my leg. "He really cares about you," he started, breaking the silence.

I didn't say anything, only nodding because I didn't want to say the wrong thing.

"Do you feel the same about him?" he questioned, curiosity sparking in his eyes.

I thought for a moment. Not really knowing what to say. I knew that we were together, but we haven't really been together for that long, and I don't know if we're gonna make it out of this thing alive. Becoming attached wasn't really the best choice to make right now.

"I... I don't know," I replied, really confused for a moment.

"Hey, look at me," he lightly demanded. I looked up into his soft brown eyes, which were filled with emotion. "I will always love you, okay? Even if you do end up loving this kid and not having to need me anymore."

"I'll always need you-" I started defiantly.

"Hush," he chuckled. "No you won't. You've already handled yourself very well in this type of situation."

"So you have been watching me!" I exclaimed excitedly.

He nodded.

"So where have you been?" I demanded.

"I've been traveling around so that I can try and stop any and all beings that might want to hurt you," he explained. "Except, this one. He's been eluding me ever since before you were born,"

"Why? What did he do?"

"Well, he's essential a serial killer with a bad agenda. Like all serial killers, they want to take down as many people as he can before he finally bites the dust. I was orignally one of his targets. But, once he found me, he made me a deal," he whispered the last part in shame.

I waited for him to continue.

"I accepted the offer," he paused waiting for an outburst or something from me. "But," he continued,"I didn't know who he was at the time. He offered me so much money and power, that I helped him pick out people who I thought would turn into evil and try and be like him. Turned out, they were the exact opposite. They were innocent people with families and everything. He would hold them for days and torture them for his own sick pleasure and when I finally figured out what he was and what he really wanted to do, I left.

"He got angry. Really angry because I was his most trusted man, and I knew his deepest secrets, for when he got drunk, he spilled his life story out to me. I knew how he worked, his strengths and most importantly his weaknesses. I've been tracking him for the better part of a decade. I've been told that he's been looking for me and trying to kill me or wanting me to come back and join him."

He paused for a second, waiting for me to process all of this.

"So...." I couldn't think of anything to say because I was speechless. For one I couldn't believe that my father, the only man I've ever looked up to, helped kill innocent people. Even though at first he didn't know about it... But then he changed his mind and left once he found out. That has to count for something, right?

"Rayne?" my dad whispered softly. I looked up into his eyes and saw desperation and sadness. I felt guilty for ever thinking my dad was the culprit. "What are you thinking about so hard?" he questioned trying to lighten the mood.

My mind was spinning... "I- I don't know."

"I know it's a lot to take in," he patiently said, "but I promise you, I didn't touch anyone. I'm here, also, to protect you. Nothing, I mean nothing is going to hurt you."

I nodded slowly. "Okay," I believed him. I did. Even though he left, it was for the good- to protect me.

Oh! That reminded me.

"But something's wrong," I started raising my shirt to reveal my stomach, pointing at the lighter scar on the right side near my hip.

"Yeah," a new voice that emerged from the door rumbled, "I woke up to her screaming in my room." Connor walked in and explained that he woke up on the couch to find me screaming bloody murder and raced upstairs to see what was wrong, only to find that I was dreaming.

"We woke up the next morning and-"

"Wait," my father interrupted, "You two slept together after that? In the same bed?"

Connor paled slightly, but stood his ground. "Yes, sir. But it was only to keep an eye on her. All we did was sleep. Nothing else," he reassured my dad.

I saw a muscle tick in my father's jaw as I saw him clench and unclench his jaw, mulling over this new information.

"Thank you," he ground out. He wasn't obviously happy, but he was appreciative that Connor was there to protect me.

"Moving on," my father said, ready to get back on the subject at hand. "How did she acquire this scar?"

"We think," I said, giving a look to Connor to keep his mouth shut before he could go on to describe how my shirt had ridden up after I woke up, "it happened in my dream."

"What was it?" My father questioned.

I described to him my dream and what happened. He sat in thought for a moment then recognition flashed across his eyes.

"Tobias could do that!"

Connor and I looked at each other in confusion.

"Who's Tobias?" Connor spoke our thoughts aloud.

"The one who's after Rayne and I," my father revealed.

"And who's killing all these girls,"

Sorry for not updating in... Well... A whole year! My life has been insane and I've almost forgot about it! But I finished this chapter and will be starting a new one soon! I will be working on this in my free time and probably in class also. Thanks for all the Support and love! I'm so happy that you guys enjoy it as much as I do!! You guys are awesome!! See ya around!
-Rayne