The Truth

After a while, everyone started to get sleepy. And when I mean everyone, I really meant Binky and Connor. They were the ones that were asking all the questions and having my dad demonstrate and help them with their powers. I just sat back and laughed at them and watched as they got to see, interact, and be apart of a legend. With the living legend.

I sighed as I plopped myself down on the couch with my dad as he yawned and stretched out.

"Oh, don't tell me you too!" I whined. "I just got you back and this is the only time I get to spend with you."

"I know," he sighed, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into his chest. "I'll answer... how about three questions tonight, and then the rest in the morning," he glanced at his watch, "and its past two in the morning."

I looked at my watch and it was indeed nearing two thirty in the morning. I huffed and smiled up at him. He grinned back down at me and planted a kiss on my forehead. "Where have you been all this time?" I whispered.

He sighed and looked into the fire, lost in thought. "I've been here and there, but I've always been near you. I've never left you," he worded carefully.

"Dad, I haven't seen you in the past six years. I think I can handle where you've been," I stated stubbornly. "What have you been doing all this time?"

"I've been protecting you and looking out for you," he said simply.

"Why now?" I asked, "Why have you decided to show up now?"

His eyebrows furrowed together and thought hard for a while. "This... this wasn't... I wasn't supposed to reveal myself. I wasn't supposed to be here and to where you could see me. You wasn't supposed to find me,"

"I'm your daughter I'm always supposed to find you because you're my father. My dad. THe only person I looked up to," I said, fear rising in my chest. Was he going to leave again? I don't want him to leave since I just found him. I don't want him to ever leave me again.

"Rayne, this wasn't supposed to happen. You weren't supposed to find me, we're not supposed to be together right now. This is putting you and everyone you love in danger,"

"So we're both in danger?! I love you dad and I always will, because if you're in danger, then I'm in danger too, because I'm not leaving you're side,"

"Rayne, you're the only one I love. SInce you're mother died, I haven't been able to find someone else like her. You remind me of her, and I don't want you to get hurt. And by me being here, you're in danger, Rayne," my dad tried to reason.

"So just like that, you're going to leave again?!" I nearly yelled sitting up on the edge of the couch.

He was quiet for a moment, and I just stared at him in shock. "So just like that!? You're gonna give up? You're going to leave me again like you left me when I was six?!"

"Rayne, I didn't say that-" he tried.

"You didn't have to say anything!" I nearly screamed, tears flowing freely from my eyes. "You're face said enough," I got up to run to my room, but my father was just a bit faster. He grabbed my wrist and spun me around to face him.

"Don't walk away from me, Rayne. Let me think about this for a minute," he said.

"Think about what? Leaving again?" I asked bitterly.

"No," he said soothingly. "A way to protect you while staying." He pulled my chin up and wiped my cheeks, drying my tears.

"So you're not leaving?" I asked hopefully.

He gave me a small smile, "No."

Relief flooded through me like a tsunami. It washed all my fears away and my strength and hope was restored. I reached out and hugged my dad with all my sleepy strength. Which was still a lot, but weaker since I was tired.