Music

My next class was even smaller due to the fact that two kids I hit are at the nurses station and are having amonia salts broken under their noses. The blue shirt kid, who's name is Tyler, was sent to the camp directors for putting the life of another camper at stake. I wasn't sent there because I was the one at stake. And sadly, Connor was also a "victim".

  "Hello, campers!" Evan, the music counslor, announced coming in whith a guitar case slung on his back.

  No one said anything. Everyone just looked around awkwardly. Well... all three of us.

  "So!" he said, breaking the tension in the room, "How bout we play whatever we want, fiddle around while we wait for the other campers return." With that, he turned around and unpacked his instrument. I glanced around and tried to decide what I wanted to play.

  There were cellos and violins and bass' and viola's and guitars and clarinets and trumpets and bassoons and everything inbetween lined up all against the walls. There was one wall that was completely dedicated to sheet music. Everything that you wanted to play, or everything you wanted to hear being played. There was a baby grand in the center of the room, sleek black and pure white and black ivory keys. I sighed and ran my fingers over it.

   *Flashback*

  "Daddy can you play me a song?" I asked running into the piano room and climbed onto my father's lap.

  He chuckled under his breath and leaned down to kiss my head. "Okay, Rayne. What do you want to play?"

  "That moonlight song!" I squealed grabbing my dad's hands and clapping them together. I was so happy and excited that he was going to play for me! I loved it when he played for me.

  "Ok, sweetie. But you have to let go of my hands," he laughed at me. When I released his hands, he set his hands on the keys and started to play the slow sweet melody.

  I sighed and leaned back against his chest humming along with the melody. I giggled when it got to the more complicated parts because my dad always made a funny face. I looked up to see my dad making a fishy face this time. I reached up and started to squish his face and he stopped playing. He reached down to start tickling my sides. I squealed and started to squirm on his lap, trying to get out of his grip.

  "I love you, Rayne!" he promised picking me up and spinning me around. "Don't you ever forget that," he said looking into my eyes.

  "I won't Daddy," I promised, "I love you too." I wrapped my tiny arms aroun his neck and squeezed. I felt him squeeze me into his chest.

* End of flashback*

 "Rayne!" I heard someone say my name, wrenching me from my memory.

  I looked up into the bright blue eyes of Evan, "Yes sir?" I whispered removing my hands away from the piano.

  "Are you okay?" he asked, worry showing in his voice.

  I nodded my head, assurring him that I would be fine. I looked at the racks of cellos and asked if I could play one.

  "Sure," he said. "That's what they're here for,"

   I smiled and picked up a cello and bow from the rack and took my place in the chair by a window.  pulled out the endpin from the bottom and set it down on the floor. I closed my eyes and pictured the music for "Cello Suite No. 1: Prelude" by Bach. I smiled, then let the bow flow across the strings while my fingers flew around the fingerboard. I started to rock back and forth to the tempo as I played, letting the music consume me.