Chapter 2

Anna

I walked to a couch in the corner with two seats in it, not expecting anyone else to sit with me. It was just the only spot left in the crowded coffee house. 

I was shivering from being outside in the freezing rain. I tried to warm myself up, but I couldn't.

"Hey, baby mama! Where's your daddy?" A teenager laughed along with his other friend. I looked up and then right back down, forcing myself not to let that tear fall down my cheek. Today had already been bad enough. I looked up again, though. The two were laughing as the other one was yelling at them quietly. I watched him get up and walk over to where I was sitting, leaving his coffee behind.

He scratched the back of his head and looked around, finally making eye contact with me. "Hey, uhmm, I'm sorry about my friends. They're jerks." 

I nodded without a word and looked back down. He was actually really cute.

"Can I get you anything?" He asked. My teeth chattered as I shook my head no. I let the tears fall down my face, as I couldn't hold them in any longer. He took off his zip-up hoodie and walked around the coffee table in front of the couch and walked behind the couch to place it on my shoulders. The tears just kept on coming. I knew my shirt was soaking his hoodie, and I felt kind of bad except for the fact that it was really warm, and kind of comforting. However, I continued to cry.

"What do you like? Decaf? Hot chocolate?"

I nodded at hot chocolate. He walked off and got me a hot chocolate. I took out my wallet when he came back and handed him 5 dollars with a shaking hand. One tear fell from my chin and soaked into the dollar bill.

"Don't worry about it." He gave me the hot chocolate and pointed to the chair. "Do you mind?" 

I looked up and noticed how tall he was. I shook my head no and he sat down. 

I started crying hysterically, breathing heavily. I watched his friends leave the coffee house and pointed.

"Your friends... are leaving..." I sucked in big breaths between every sob.

"I'll walk home." He leaned over and his hand swept across my cheek, erasing my tears away. "I'm Cameron, by the way. Are you alright?" He looked deeply into my eyes, searching for an answer. I lost myself in his dark brown eyes. I remembered he wanted an answer.

'Obviously not' the mean part of me wanted to say.

"Not really." The nice part of me said.  

"Well, I'm here to talk about it if you want." He said softly. "It's okay." 

"My ex boyfriend, Darren." I said and looked down at my stomach. I was 6 months along, but I wasn't even big. I was only about 5'2, and I was skinny, so the baby was most likely going to be a tiny one. "He doesn't want me to have the baby." I said. I didn't know why I was telling this kid this. Maybe it was because he was being so nice to me, that I would feel rude if I didn't tell him. "He threatened to kill me because he didn't want to be a father. And then when I said no and tried to walk away, he pulled me back and punched me in the stomach." I lifted my shirt and showed the side of my little bump with a black and blue bruise the size of a golf ball. "And then he walked away." I was crying even more than hysterically. 

Cameron moved closer to me on the couch and wrapped his arms around me. I felt him kiss the top of my head. Maybe I hadn't resisted because he was nice. Or maybe becaue I was just trying to find a part of him that reminded me of Darren.

And finally since I was in the rain, I stopped shivering.

I let my head rest on his shoulder and cry until there were no more tears left to cry. I just sat there in his arms, trying to forget what happened 2 hours ago. 

"I think we should go." I said quietly. "I'll drive you home." I said. We stood up together, and I was surprised that I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. I walked with my hands by my sides, until Cameron laced his fingers in mine. I had to bend my arm a little bit because he was so tall. His warm hand fit perfectly with mine.