Chapter 11

Anna

"Do you want to go home?" Cameron asked when he moved back to the driver's seat and buckled his seat belt. 

"No." I said quietly. "I want to see the sea horses." I watched him laugh. "What?" I asked

"Nothing." He looked at me. "You're just funny." He was smiling. I noticed that he was more good looking than I'd thought he was. "You make me laugh." He got back on the road and drove to the zoo. When he reached over and took my hand, I held it, not letting anything but the occasional burst of air in between us.

We finally got to the zoo. There weren't many cars, so we were able to find a good parking spot.

"I've never been here before." I said, looking at the big establishment. I heard birds chirping and lions roaring. 

"You haven't?" Cameron walked around the front of the car and opened my door, helping me get out of the truck. 

"Well maybe I was when I was little or something. But I don't remember ever being here."

He took my hand and we walked to the entrance together. 

"There's like, no one here." I said, looking around at the big zoo. Cameron looked over at me and smiled. We payed to get in and then just walked around. We watched a polar bear mom sleep with its cub trying to wake it up. We watched a penguin dive into the water after a fish. 

"Do you want to see the sea horses now?" I looked at Cameron, who was looking at me. I nodded and he took my hand, running and tugging me behind. We ran because we felt like it. We ran because no one was watching. We ran because it was fun.

I laughed the whole way down the stairs. When we got down there, it was dark. Light came in with the water and made patterns on the floors and on our clothes and faces.

"Look." Cameron said and pointed to two dolphins having a competition to see who could do the most flips under water. I smiled at the memory of me and my sister always trying to do that. 

We walked along and looked at the manatees and the jellyfish. "Look!" I squealed when I saw the sea horses. There was a bigger sea horse and one that was a little bit smaller. I was guessing it was the mom and dad. There was a little one swimming far away in the distance. I stared at the sea horse parents. They were close together. Their stomachs touched each other and their necks almost made a heart.

I looked at Cameron. He looked at me at the same time. 

He leaned in and pressed his lips to mine. I smiled against his lips and continued to smile when we pulled away from each other. He collected me in his arms so that we stood as close as the sea horses were to each other. I felt his chin rest on the top of my head after kissing it.

"I've never met someone like you, you know." I said. It was muffled because I was talking into his chest. 

"And that's a good thing or a bad thing?" He asked. I looked at him and narrowed my eyes.

"What do you think?" 

"Let me guess." He thought for a moment. "Wait, don't tell me." He smiled down at me. The reflection of the water played around with the shades of his brown eyes. "That's a good thing."

I nodded and stood on my tip-toes to kiss him. He smiled at me. 

I looked back at the sea horses. They were now playing with the little  baby. "I could watch them all day." I said. 

"Well then, why don't we?" Cameron picked me up and sat on the bench. He sat me on his lap and we watched the sea horses. 

I played with his hand and he twirled my long blonde hair around his fingers.