Chapter 4

Anna

"This is my house. Well, apartment." Cameron said. It was pretty nice inside for two teenage boys living in it. "We each have a floor. Luke lives down here and I live upstairs. The living room is down here, but I have my own kitchen upstairs." Cameron explained. 

"It's pretty nice in here." I said. We walked up the stairs together with me trailing a little bit behind. 

"Yeah, it is what it is." He said. "You're welcome to sleep in my room if you want. You know, in my bed. But I won't touch you. I swear. Or, I could sleep on the couch in the living room." 

"No, it's okay. I'm not worried about you touching me." I laughed. 

He had a queen sized bed. It was indeed big enough for the both of us. "The bathroom is right through that door." He pointed across from the bed. 

"I'm really sorry that I have to stay here. It will only be one night, I swear. I don't want you to have to worry about me." I said. "I'll find somewhere else to go."

"Don't worry about it." Cameron said. "Did you bring pajamas or anything?" 

I smacked my hand to my head. "I forgot! I'll run outside and get them." I started making my way to the door when Cameron stopped me. 

"It's okay!" He said and chuckled to himself. "You can just wear mine. Hold on. Stay right there."

I did as he said and planted my feet to the floor. He came back with long pants and a big t-shirt advertising his school's football team. "Thank you so much. I owe you big time." 

"You don't owe me anything. This is me being a friend." He smiled. "You can trust me.

I offered a smile and walked in to the bathroom. I guess there were some nice guys left in the world.

I changed into the pajamas, and the pants were extra long because he was pretty tall. And I, on the other hand, was pretty short. I remembered a technique used as a little kid when I forgot a toothbrush. I picked up Cameron's toothpaste and squeezed it on my index finger, being careful to place it back in the exact position it was in. I put it in my mouth and moved it back and forth. It wasn't a real toothbrush, but it worked for one night.

I rinsed my mouth off and walked out of the bathroom.

He was already on the right side of the bed, reading a book. I went on the left side as far as I could get to not make him feel uncomfortable. I turned my back to make him feel as if I wasn't there. 

"I don't bite, you know." I knew he was smiling. 

"I'm just trying to make you feel comfortable." I said, not turning over.

"I'm not uncomfortable. I am the one that told you to come inside." I turned my head, which turned my back a little bit. "Besides, I don't mind. You don't have to be scared of me." He set his book down on the bed stand. "I'm your friend now." He moved down on the bed so he could rest his head on his hands, facing me. I turned myself all the way around. 

"I know." I layed on my back so I could look at the ceiling. My hands were by my sides.

"So why were you going to sleep in your car?" He asked out of curiousity. "I mean, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

"Because." I said. "My parents kicked me out of my house when they found out I was pregnant." A tear escaped my eye. "They couldn't even look at me." And another. I didn't bother wiping them away. "I discusted them. So, I left. I've been sleeping at friend's houses and in my car for the past 2 months. But my best friend, Leigh, wasn't home, so I just... came here." 

He reached over to wipe my tears away and held my hand afterwards. 

The baby kicked. That was the first time I'd ever felt her kick. That meant they liked something, right?

I looked over at Cameron suddenly. He pulled his hand away.

"Sorry. I told you I wouldn't touch-" 

"No." I stopped him and smiled. I placed my left hand on his. My other hand went on my stomach. "She likes you."