Chapter 8

Cameron

"Hurry up! It's about to start!" Luke called to Anna, Ian, and me. We were clearing the table of all of the paper plates and plastic cups. 

Once everything was off the table, we went into the living room and sat down. I sat down on a little couch and Anna sat next to me. I wrapped my arms around her and she leaned into me. 

"Awww, how cute. I knew you guys were dating." Luke cooed. I didn't object. I had a feeling Anna would be my girlfriend pretty soon. "Shhh!" Luke shushed everyone even though we weren't making a sound. He was sitting closest to the TV screen, watching every player's moves closley.

"Come on! He totally could have made that one!" He shouted when someone tackled the runner right before the touch down. "Get up, why don't you!?" 

"He gets really into things like this." I said quietly down to Anna. She brought her legs up on the couch and rested her hand on mine which was on her stomach. I felt a little movement, which meant the baby kicked. It was weird, being with a girl that was going to have a baby. But I didn't mind, and neither did Anna. I had a feeling that she just wanted to be loved by someone. And I was willing to let her have what she wanted.

She put her head on my shoulder as Luke screamed louder and louder. 

I watched the screen as the ball flew across the sky. Someone on the other team was running after it with his arms up in the air. He caught it and cradled it next to him like a little baby. He ran and ran and finally, he got the touch down. Luke screamed, which made Anna jump a little bit. 

After an hour, the game was tied and Luke had settled down a bit. Ian was watching quietly, leaning foward in attempt to see the screen better. I realized that Anna hadn't made a sound. I looked down at her. Her eyes were closed and the light from the TV screen flicked across her fluttering eyelids. 

"Guys." I whispered. They both looked at me and then at Anna and they understood. I slipped my arms under her and picked her up. "See you tomorrow." I whispered to them. They nodded, not taking their eyes off of the screen. 

I brought Anna upstairs and layed her gently on my bed, tucking her in carefully. I kissed her forehead and watched the corners of her mouth curve up slightly. Her eyes opened.

"Sorry." I said, backing up.

"Oh, no. I fell asleep!" Her eyes were wide open now and she sat up. 

"It's okay. Go back to sleep." I said. I got in the bed next to her and shut the lights off. 

"You can go back down with your friends. I didn't mean to fall asleep, I swear." She apologized.

"Anna. Don't worry about it. I'm kind of tired anyways." I lied. I wasn't tired at all, actually. 

"I'm not." She stated and rolled over onto her back. I laughed. Her head turned and she looked at me. "What?" 

"Why were you sound asleep then?" I challenged with a little smile on my face. 

"Okay, fine. I was tired. But I'm not anymore." 

"So do you want to go back downstairs?" I asked.

"No." She said. "Luke was giving me a headache. But you can go downstairs! I'll be fine up here. I promise." 

"I'll stay up here with you." I turned the light back on. Anna sat up and crossed her legs. 

"I want to know more about you." She said. 

"Okay, like what?" 

"Do you have siblings?" She started.

"I have a brother who is a sophmore and a sister that's a junior. Do you?" 

"I have a sister that's in 8th grade. But I don't see her much anymore." She said. I nodded. 

"What else do you want to know?" I asked. 

"How many girlfriends have you had?"

"Hmm." I thought for a minute. "9. How many boyfriends have you had?" 

"7." She hesitated and looked down. "Have you ever broken a girl's heart?" 

"Yes." I answered honestly, thinking about Shannon. 

"How?" She looked up at me, searching for an answer in my eyes.

"I was... experimenting with another girl." I said. I looked right back into her bright green eyes

"Oh." She looked away. She sat back into her pillow. "Do you plan to get married ever?" She asked out of curiousity.

"Yes, I do." I said. I wondered for a moment if I'd ever get married to Anna. "Do you?"

"I hope so." She looked over at me. "Do you think anyone would ever want a person like me?" 

"Yes. Without a doubt." I said. She looked across the room. "I know I do." Her cheeks turned red. 

"I think you're too good for me. You deserve someone better. You don't deserve someone like me. " She said. "Someone who's always crying like I am, or already having a baby."

I put my index finger on her jaw and turned her face so she looked at me. "I'd love to have someone like you. Those things are what make you the person you are." I leaned in and kissed her. 

"Well." She smiled. "I'd like to have someone like you, too." She leaned in and kissed me. She pulled away and moved down the bed so she could put her head on the pillow. I did the same. "You want to know something?" She asked. 

"What's that?" A piece of her hair fell over her face. She reached up and tucked it behind her ear. 

"I've never met someone like you before." She said. 

"What's that like?" I asked.

"Someone who will listen to me no matter what I say. Or who makes me laugh and smile like you do. And I know, I met you yesterday, but I feel like I've known you. Like I've been with you longer. I know we've moved pretty fast, but I don't know. I sound like an idiot right now, but I don't really mind and I doubt you do." She was talking really fast and she sounded nervous. I leaned over and kissed her gently. She stopped talking. 

"I know." I whispered. "I feel the same." She blushed and turned so she was on her back. A tear fell from her eye. "What's wrong?" 

"I miss everything. I miss being normal, having a ton of friends, not being pregnant. I shouldn't have ever done it." 

"Done what?" She looked over at me like it was obvious. "Oh." I said when I understood. "Well, think of it this way. If you weren't pregnant, Darren wouldn't have hurt you, and you wouldn't have came to the cafe. And we wouldn't have met." 

"I'm scared." She choked out. A tear fell and plopped down onto the pillow.

"Of what?" 

"What if Darren tries to hurt me again?"

"I'll kill him." I said and smiled.