Chapter 3

Cameron.

I opened the passenger seat after running though the cold wind. It wasn't raining, but it was really windy. I looked in the back of the car. Pillows and blankets were on the seat. There was a suit case on the right of the seat.

"What's this?" I asked when Anna buckled her seat belt. 

"Nothing. I was just... at a friend's house." She wiped her cheek with the back of her hand. She shrugged and looked at me. "Where to?" She asked.

"105 South Forest Road." I said and we took off. 

Once we started driving, conversation started. "Who do you live with?" She asked.

"I live in a house shared with one of my friends. But he went out with the other kid from the cafe. They won't be there when you drop me off, so don't worry about it." I looked over and smiled at her. 

"I wasn't worried." She smiled back. For the first time since I'd met her, she smiled. "So, what are you going to school for?"

"I'm going to be a police officer." I told her. 

"That's awesome." She nodded.

"What about you? What are you going for?" 

"I can't go for much." She looked down at her stomach at a stop light. "Once I have her, I won't be able to work." 

I nodded. "I'm sorry. For your situation." 

"Not your fault." We pulled into my driveway. The clock said it was already 10:00 pm. I was exhausted.

"Well, thank you for the ride home. It was nice of you. Nice meeting you." I said and unbuckled my seat belt. "I hope we can meet up again." I wrote my number down on a piece of paper I found in my jean pocket.

"Oh. Your jacket." She unzipped it halfway before I stopped her.

"Don't worry about it." I said. "You can keep it." I leaned over and kissed her cheek before leaving the car. She waited until I got inside to pull away. I watched her drive away before going inside. 

I turned the light on in the kitchen. For as long as I could remember, a light was always on while I slept. Even when I lived with my parents.

I walked upstairs, thinking about Anna. There was just something different about her. She wasn't like all the other girls that would bow down to guys or do whatever they said. She seemed independent, but also dependent on others. She was both, even though that makes no sense. 

I remembered the feeling of her cold hand in my warm hand. By the time we got to the car, her hand was the same temperature as mine. I didn't know what that could possibly symbolize, but I guess it just meant something to me. 

I went in the bathroom and turned the faucet on to brush my teeth. I looked out the window. I saw my driveway. A car pulled up with its lights off. I looked closer at the car.

It was Anna's.

I walked downstairs and outside. I saw her in the driver's seat, setting up a bed on her seat in the back. I tapped on her window and she rolled it down, blushing. 

"Why are you still here?" I asked her. I didn't mean to sound as rude as I did. What was she still doing here?

"Because." She said and looked around. "I feel safe here." I watched a little smile creep up on her face. It was a shy smile, but it was the second one I'd seen on her face. She was still wearing m my jacket. 

"Why don't you come inside?" I asked. "It's cold out here."