Chapter 9

Anna

We ended up staying awake until 2:00 in the morning, talking about each other's lives and other random things. That was when my head finally hit the pillow.

Today, I let Cameron touch me while I slept. He wrapped his arms around me and bent his knees so that they were inside mine. I fell asleep to his breathing on my neck.

----Nightmare----

I didn't know where I was. All I knew was that it was dark, I was taped to a chair, and a spotlight was the only thing shining down on me. Everything was taped to the chair- my arms, legs, back, and so on- except my mouth. I was free to talk, although the sound wouldn't escape my mouth.

"I warned you." I didn't see the figure, but I sure as hell heard it. They came into the spotlight so that I could see them. Everything was covered with black, except the face. I made it out to be Darren.

He held up a knife and tilted it, trying to catch it in the light so that it lit up. "It's a very shiny knife, wouldn't you say so?" 

Why are you doing this, I wanted to say. He must have heard me somehow, even though I didn't speak, because he answered me. 

"I didn't want the baby." An evil smile set across his face. "When I told you I'd kill you, I wasn't lying." He lifted the knife up and whisked it down.

"Anna!" It was Cameron's voice.

----End of Nightmare----

Cameron was shaking me, and I realized that it wasn't his voice in the dream. I woke up with tears running from my eyes. 

"Cameron!" I yelled and wrapped my arms around him abruptly. I dug my head into his shoulder and cried. "I had a nightmare," I cried. His shirt was stained with tears. He began to rub my back. 

"It's okay. I'm right here." He said and kissed the top of my head. I was squeezing him so hard that I was afraid he would stop breathing and drop dead any minute. I released my grip a little bit.

"Sorry." I whispered.

"It's okay." He chuckled. 

I remembered when I was a little kid, my mom would be the one I would cry to when I had a bad dream. I would run down the hallway, afraid of whatever was in the dream that frightened me. I would run into her bed and sleep in between my parents, cuddling into my mom's arms and telling her everything that happened in the nightmare. She would tell me that everything would be perfectly fine and that I had nothing to worry about.

And at the time, I believed her. 

"Darren was going to kill me." I cried just like I would have to my mom. 

"Well he won't." He continued to rub my back. 

"How do you know?"

"Because. I won't let him touch you." He said and kissed my head.

My sobbing slowed down and soon enough, I fell asleep, letting those last words replay over and over in my head. 

A couple of days later, I was standing at the airport, waiting for Leigh to come off of her plane. I smiled right when I saw her cheetah print suitcase come around on the luggage belt. I heard click-clacking down the stairs and I turned around to see Leigh running with her chocolate brown hair trailing behind her. She ran towards me and I hugged her tightly.

"I missed you! How's it going?" She motioned down to my stomach. 

"It's good. She kicked for her first time." I smiled, thinking of Cameron. 

"I heard that means they like something." She said, getting her hair out of her sticky lipstick. She walked to get her luggage and turned back to me. 

"Yeah, I think it does." I felt myself blush.

"We have a lot of catching up to do." She said. She linked her arm through mine and we walked out of the airport and to my car.

"Where are your parents?" I asked as I started the car.

"They wanted to stay an extra couple of days. Ugh. I love the way your car smells." She said, taking a deep breath through her nose. "It always smells like coconut!" She said, taking a deep breath again.

I just laughed. 

"When did you get that?" She said, looking at the steering wheel cover that had cheetah print on it. She lifted her hand up to pet it. "It's so soft!" 

"I got it like 4 days ago." I laughed. "I missed you being here." 

"I missed you too. Let's get coffee." She said excitedly.

10 minutes later, I pulled into Starbucks and we both got out. We walked in, and it wasn't as crowded as it was when I met Cameron. 

"So, where have you stayed while I was gone? Did you go back home?" She asked when we stood in line.

"I'll tell you when we sit down." I said. She nodded.

"I can help who's next!" A cashier called. We walked over and took our spot. Leigh ordered an iced coffee and I ordered a hot chocolate. 

"Hot chocolate? It's like, summer." She said when we sat down at our usual table in the corner.

"I like hot chocolate!" I said defensively. My phone vibrated in my pocket.

Cameron- when will you be home? i made lunch for us. (: you said you'd be home by now

I smiled and opened my phone to text him back. 

"Anna..." Leigh said. "Who is that?" 

I was still smiling, and now I was blushing. I pulled my phone closer and looked up at her. "No one."

"Tell me or I'll look at your phone!" She challenged.

"I'll tell you in a second!" 

Anna- ill come 'home.' can i bring leigh? 

I looked up at Leigh. She was waiting. "I met a guy." 

"What about Darren?!" 

"We broke up forever ago!" I said. 

"Oh, right. Tell me about Mr. Noname." 

Cameron- yeah, ill make her something. 

"His name is Cameron. Let's go. He's waiting. I'll tell you in the car."

We scurried out of Starbucks and into the car.

"I met Cameron at Starbucks, after I ran away from Darren's house because he hurt me. And Cameron came over because his friends made fun of me and he cheered me up. I drove him home, and then came back and was going to sleep in my car in front of his house. He came out, and brought me inside. I slept over, and now I've been living at his house."

"Oh my God! You slept with him!?"

I rolled my eyes. "No. Well sort of." 

"When do I get to meet him!?" She asked excitedly.

"Where do you think we're going?"