Chapter 14

What the-why did she say that?

I feel like I'm standing on the edge of the cliff. Ano bang iniisip niya? By coming here, she's putting us one step closer to being exposed. What is she thinking?

Oh-yeah! I fvking forgot that she's Catarina. She does what she wants and likes to play with fire.

"Hindi ko alam na may fiancée ka pala, Mr. Faustino... but I don't see any ring..."

I got tensed then I felt her warning. Humigpit ang kapit niya sa braso ko na parang sinasabing umaktong kalmado at normal.

Shit! Anong sasabihin ko?

"I don't see any badge either, inspector Velazquez."

Naningkit ang mga mata sa direksyon ni Catarina. As usual, kalmado lang ang katabi ko kahit na si inspector ay pareho kaming binibigyan ng kakaibang tingin, mapag-akusa.

Mas matagal sa kanya. He was giving her a scrutinizing stare. I didn't like any bit of it.

"Pwede ko bang malaman ang pangalan mo?'

"I apologize for not introducing myself properly. I'm Selena. Nice to meet you."

Selena? That's a nice name. 'Yan ba ang ginagamit niyang alias ngayon?

Parang ayaw niya pang tanggapin ang nakalahad na kamay nito base sa itsura niya. He's really a man of law. Hindi agad nagtitiwala. He shook her hand eventually.

"Hindi mo man lang ba 'ko tatanungiin kung anong nangyari sa'kin? How I almost died in a slaughter? Or how I ended up beaten to pulp?" I said, successfully getting his attention. Tinignan niya ko mula ulo hanggang paa. He scowled at my awful look.

"At some point, kasalanan mo rin 'yan. Kung hindi ka parang nawala sa sarili at kumilos mag-isa bago ang meeting, hindi sana tayo pumalpak. Lives could have been saved like Bernard's." He said pointing a finger at me. "Isa pa, halatang alam ng fiancée mo ang nangyayari. I told you that this is a high risk operation and you swore confidentiality. You ought to know that by telling this to your fiancée, you're putting her in danger."

Danger? Hindi mo lang alam. You didn't know that this woman with us is the danger itself.

"I'm a businessman inspector. If there's no contract signed, it didn't happen."

"Alam mo sana ang kapalit ng mga ito."

"Inspector?" A shiver ran down to my spine when she spoke with so much coldness that even he seemed to feel.

She stepped forward, emotionless stares burning to the man she called.

"I have the impression that you're blaming my fiancé for this failure. Kung sino man ang dapat sisihin, hindi ba ikaw dapat 'yon? You were the one leading that operation but you seem to be pointing a finger to a mere pawn. If you can't handle all the responsibilities of leading, you shouldn't lead at all."

"Hindi mo alam ang hirap ng trabaho namin, ng trabaho ko, Selena." He scowled.

"You're right but one thing that I do know is that a leader shouldn't make excuses. A failure is a failure, inspector. Get up, count the casualties and move wiser...better next time. That's all you need to do."

Catarina smiled sweetly but I knew that is a cunning and never a good outcome.

Humarap siya sa'kin, ang matamis na ngiti ay hindi nawawala. She reached for my cheek, caressing it.

"Can you be dear to me, sweetheart and get me something to drink, please."

Yes! Get you a drink...