Chapter 22

Swiftfeather is munching on an afternoon snack while bathing in the sun.

I wish Greenleaf could last forever. Swiftfeather thinks Though I think Leaf-fall is com- Swiftfeather's random thoughts are interrupted by a yowl that sounds not to far away from the camp. Stripetail instantly pricks her ears and runs out of the camp.

"HELP!" Another cat meows "CLOUDPAW IS HURT!" Swiftfeather realizes her son is hurt and runs right after Fogstar. Once Swiftfeather sees her son lying on the ground with his paw twisted, tears start to fall. Mintpaw runs back towards the camp while Stripetail tries to comfort Cloudpaw.

"What happened Twigpaw?" Stripetail whispered to Twigpaw, who must have been with Cloudpaw when he got hurt.

"We w-where racing back t-to the camp and he stepped in a ditch and it twisted his paw." Twigpaw meows, so frightened that the small brown she-cat is shaking. Swiftfeather pads over to her apprentice and strokes Twigpaw's back with her tail.

Soon after Mintpaw brought back some strange looking root and some various herbs Stripetail decided Cloudpaw was ready to be carried back to camp.

"Fogstar. You grab his back legs while Swiftfeather and I grab his arms." Stripetail meowed, never taking her eyes off of the hurt apprentice. "One, two, LIFT!"

Swiftfeather, Stripetail and Fogstar carefully maneuver Cloudpaw into a makeshift nest inside the medicine cat den. Cloudpaw only groaned a few times one the way over but when laid into his nest, he groaned as loud as he could.

"It, h-hurts." Cloudpaw breathed violently "I... I can't m-move it."

"Shhh," Stripetail coaxed the aching apprentice "You'll be okay."

"How long until he will be able to run again?" Twigpaw meowed worriedly. Stripetail's comforting smile left her face as her lips pressed together "At least a moon." Twigpaw's face was taken over by tears as she plopped down next to her fellow apprentice and shared tongues.

Okay... You know what I'm going to say by know so... Do it! Smilies! ~Swift