Chapter 4: Time to Enroll

From her armchair Raven watched as her brother resumed the previous exercises, rushing towards their father. This time however, the spirit essence that flowed to his feet was no longer spread over the entire soles of his feet but was instead concentrated to only the front halves. Maleo swiped out his arm as soon as Hoatzin was within range but in that very instant Hoatzin had already appeared behind his fathers back.

"Yes!" Hoatzin raised a fist into the sky, pride filling his face.

Maleo blinked in surprise and then started laughing. "Hahaha! Son, well done! You still have some ways to go before your spirit core is strong enough for you to preform the full Shadow Walk but by focusing on half the area you can indeed pull of this version." His big hands smacked his son on the back. "Good thinking!"

Maleo glanced over to the still pouting little Raven. "Make sure to thank your sister. You got some insight from playing with her, no?"

"Yes, father!" Hoatzin bowed and then also glanced at his sister. He would indeed have to think of a way to pay her back; who would have guessed that her game of tag would give him such ideas? If nothing else, next time she requested him to play her, he would have no right to refuse, regardless of the situation.

"Good, good. This will do for now. Go and clean up for lunch."

"Yes, father!" Hoatzin bowed once more and hurried of towards his chambers. Without her farther having to order it, guard Verdin stirred and followed his young master out. Hoatzin's own guards had been dismissed before the training so Verdin would naturally take their place temporarily.

Seeing her brother leave, Raven jumped to her feet, her previous pout nowhere to be seen. "Lunch!" she chimed happily and ran of towards the dining hall, her remaining guard close behind her.

Maleo looked pensively at the small female figure leaving the courtyard. What an odd daughter he had.

---------

A few minutes later, the family of four was seated around a smaller table in their private dining hall. I'iwi was standing to the side instructing servants where to place the trays of food they were carrying. Once they were done, Besra motioned for them to leave.

A variation of dishes had been paced on the table and their lovely aromas quickly filled the room. Raven noticed that even her favorite dish, stewed Mountain Owl with Frost Berries, was present. She pointed happily at the dish and before she had the time to ask, her brother had stretched over to give her a hand. Afterwards he served himself the same dish.

"Hoatzin, your father told me that you have managed to activate the Shadow Walk."

"Right now it's more of a step rather than a walk, mother." Hoatzin replied humbly. "It's not complete yet."

Raven hid her smile by drinking a large gulp of milk. Her father had often stressed the importance of not overestimating ones strengths and Haotzin seemed to have taken the preachers to heart.

Maleo simply nodded but Besra smiled happily. "Well done, my little Hoatzin!"

"I'm not little anymore, mother! I've already started learning my first Divine Skills..." Hoatzin protested.

"Right you are, son! Well spoken." Maleo laughed and smacked his son on his back so hard that Hoatzin dropped his fork. As it hit his plate, a red Frost Berry was flung across the room.

Raven started giggling uncontrollably and Besra shot her husband a reproving glare.

Maleo caughed slightly but placed his hand on Hoatzin's sholder, preventing the boy from rising to collect the wayward berry. "Never mind that. Late next month, the Imperial Sky Academy of Divine Arts will have their entrance examinations in Sky City."