Chapter 78: Being Found

At the bottom of the ravine, nothing but the rushing water of the river could be heard as Javelin stood, bent over in a respectful bow in front of Raven. Although his body seemed relaxed, Raven could see the tension in Javelin's jaw - he was determined but anxious, very anxious.

Raven blinked, a bit taken aback by Javelin's resolve, but then she sighed. "Swearing by it and living up to it are two different things, Javelin." Her gaze trailed off into the flames. "You might think you can control yourself now but. . . ."

"I, Javelin Dory Hake, swear on my soul prism tha-"

Before he could finish his sentence Raven was on her feet, covering his mouth with her hand. "Hot headed fool! What kind of a soul-oath do you think you're making?"

Javelin tried to pry away Raven's hand with his own but she held fast; she could still feel the faint makings of a soul-oath within the boy's spirit essence and she was afraid he would complete the oath of she let go.

"Let me guess, you were about to bind yourself to never acting against my direct commands, or something like that - right?" Javelin didn't have to answer in words for Raven to know that she had been spot on. Raven sighed, suddenly feeling older. "Don't go making oaths like that, Javelin. . . . What if I ordered you to kill yourself?"

Raven had expected Javelin to get angry, or at least in some way react to her statement, but instead he calmed down, his mesmerizing eyes growing steady as they looked at her intently. A shudder ran down Raven's spine. She could tell Javelin's eyes wanted to say to her; "I know."

Startled by her realization, Raven instinctively let go of Javelin and backed away.

The moment he was free, Javelin resumed his oath-making; "I, Javelin Dory Hake, swear on my soul prism . . ."

"Don't . . ." Raven wanted to move forward again but for once her body didn't obey her.

". . . that, if you ask it of me, I will stay away from you and your battles." The familiar, pure-white spirit star that marked a new soul-oath appeared over Javelin's forehead before slowly being absorbed into his skin.

"You . . ." Raven stared blankly at Javelin; "you changed it?"

Javelin smiled warmly but there was a bit of melancholy in his eyes. "How can I make an oath to obey you against your will?" He shrugged. "But this should be right enough - you will let me be around you?"

For a moment Raven remained a bit dazed but as she thought about it, she couldn't help but give a defeated laugh. Her eyes met Javelin's.

"You might regret it, you know."

"I do."

"And, although flattered, I do not . . . reciprocate your feelings."

Briefly, Javelin looked down, pain apparent in his eyes, but it soon disappeared.

". . . I know."

He faced Raven again and she could only sigh. 'More likely I'm the one who will regret this. . . .' she thought, but she had already given in.

"Very well then." Raven tossed him the stick she had been using to poke at the fire earlier. "Then why don't you get useful and show off those Sea Empire fishing skills of yours - I'm starving."

Javelin's eyes brightened. He nodded happily and walked over to the river. Raven watched him squat down, discarding the stick she had given him and instead producing a serious fishing rod from within his own spacial ring. Interested, Raven moved up next to Javelin for a better view.