Chapter 9: Hoatzin Returns

Even before the cabin touched ground, the door swung open and a dark-haired youth in grey robes jumped down. With large steps the youth approached Raven and, once close enough, lifted her of the ground twirling her around him.

"Welcome home, big brother!" Raven laughed.

"I'm home!" Hoatzin laughed as well, and he let his sister go.

"You've grown, big Brother."

Hoatzin had indeed grown. The soon ten-year-old boy had not only become a decimeter taller, his body build was a lot more firm. He now had an air of strength about him that wasn't there before. The time at the academy was paying of.

"You bet I have." Hoatzin smiled smugly and fished out his spirit stone pendant. "Look, am I not an impressive big Brother?"

The previously grey had now almost completely sifted to a opaque white. Only a slim line of grey remained around the border. Raven's eyebrows rose in pleasant surprise.

"Brother, you're nearly a high Novice?"

Hoatzin smiled pridefully, and rightfully so - to go from a new low Spirit Novice to a high Novice was something that usually took two to four years, depending on your skills. To advance that far in one was quite impressive.

"Big brother is truly a genius!" Raven praised.

She really meant every word, yet, she couldn't help but marvel over her own progress at the same time. Despite not having focused on her cultivation the past year - rather, letting it progress naturally - she had still reached the peak of the Novice stage and could feel a slight change in her Spirit Core. She suspected that she would make the evolution to Adept in the near future.

"Haha, not so! Remember Javelin? The blonde boy from Sea Empire? He is two years younger than me but is keeping up with me - when he is my age he will be even more impressive."

"Really?"

"Really. Oh, that reminds me, he has been eyeing the bracelet you gave me. Perhaps you should make him one? As a thank you for the Divine Skill."

Raven blinked and then started laughing. "Sure, why not?"

"Where are Mother and Father? I want to tell them of my progress." Hoatzin looked around the courtyard.

Raven frowned.

"They had intended to come meet you but then aunt and uncle showed up. Mother and Father are 'entertaining' them now."

Hoatzin also frowned.

"Hmm, do you know what they are talking about?"

"Nope, but I'm guessing it's about the ore."

All three empires on the continent had different things they excelled in. Sea Empire for example was the only empire with a proper coastline and they therefore held dominion in all things sea related, including everything from fishing to intercontinental trade. Sky Empire on the other hand, had a vast amount of prosperous mines. There were mines of various metals, gems and, most importantly, the soul ore that is used to make most things related to spiritualists: Spirit Halls, Spirit Stones, Divine weapons and armor, all of it is made with soul ore.

The different prefectures within Sky Empire all had their own mines that they tended to. Within Nightingale Prefecture were a bunch of smaller gem mines and one very large soul ore mine. As the ruling clan, the Nightingale Clan was charged with the duty of mining and protecting these resources. The Talon clan were the head clan of one of Nightingale prefectures largest merchants guilds and therefore worked with them closely whenever trading ore was involved.