Chapter 11: Light, where have you gone?

In the dark cave, hours had passed since I'iwi left Raven to her grieving; it might as well have been mere seconds ago. The only difference between then and now was that Raven's clothes had become damper from her tears.

Raven herself no longer took any notice of her surroundings. Her mind was far, far away...

---------

I lie in the arms of a young woman that looks on me with tender, loving eyes. I've never been looked at with eyes like those before... She is very tired - her long violet hair clings tightly to her damp face - but despite this she has a warm glow about her. To me she is a sun, expelling the night.

"Hello, little one." With a pearly white hand, she lightly pokes my nose. "Welcome to the world. I am your mother, Besra."

---------

Raven's small body quivered and she closed her eyes tight, but this did nothing to stay her gushing tears.

---------

I look towards the big wooden door in my mother's chamber and see a small boy peeping in from outside. He is perhaps five or six years old. His hazel brown eyes glow with confidence and resolution as he places his hand on his chest and looks straight at me. "I, Haotzin Nightingale, will protect my little sister with my life!"

----------

A silent whimper escaped Raven's lips; the heartbreaking sound echoing lamentably within the cave.

---------

*BOOM!*

Just as I step out into the courtyard a small figure flies several meters backwards before tumbling to the ground.

"Again!" Haotzin is already on his feet and running towards his father.

My guard chuckles softly next to me. "He has determination at least."

I giggle and balance on the heals of my feet. "You have to catch me! You have to catch me!"

With a sigh Haotzin starts to chase me. Just as he is about to grab me, I shift ever so slightly and move around him.

"Hihi, brother is so clumsy! You move like an elephant!" I sway lightly on the tip of my toes and once more twirl out of his reach.

---------

Raven's collapsed to the ground, devoid of all her strength.

---------

We are leaving for Sky Academy. In the southern courtyard I watch my father and brother say goodbye. There is an awkwardness about it that is quite amusing. I notice father scratching the bridge of his nose, stealthily removing the moist that is gathering at the inner corner of his eye - I bite my lip to stop myself from giggling. Father's attempts to hide his affections are quite feeble.

---------

Raven lifted her shaking hands to cover her face, grabbing at her tangled hair with paling fingers. Her previously beautiful braids were becoming undone.

---------

My mother is walking towards the imperial palace. Hoatzin is next to me and he grabs my hand; keeping me close to him as we approach the building. I'm excited and I can tell that Hoatzin is too, but I notice a tinge of nervousness beneath his anticipating expression. Love fills my heart. My dear brother... He hides his nervousness so well and strives to comfort me at the same time. He will grow into a fine man one day!