Chapter 69: Interrogation

As Raven's accusation left her lips, the already shaking man shook so hard it rattled his chains loudly. His clear light-green eyes were wide in shock.

"H-how . . ?" the man seemed incapable of saying more but Raven's mouth curled into a cold half-smile. Her suspicions were confirmed. Looking into those frightened eyes of her would-be assassin, Raven had to admit that they were so similar to Elder Willow's that she was almost ashamed she hadn't seen the connection sooner.

Ever since she brought the man back here, Raven had been having the nagging sensation that she was missing something important. She hadn't been able to put her finger on it, but when Javelin had pointed out that he recognized the so-called Blood Hound from somewhere, Raven suddenly realized what it was that had been bugging her; the assassin's presence, although a lot more murderous, still had the same core characteristics as Elder Willow's.

Much like Raven could tell that Martin and Lark were closely related simply by their spirit essence, she could also tell that there had to be some sort of family connection between Myrtus Willow and the Blood Hound.

"It doesn't matter how I know, the point is that I do know." Raven tightened the grip she already had around the man's chin. "Now, tell me how the two of you are related."

Despite his fear, the chained assassin managed a snort. "That meek little healer sissy ain't no relation of mine!" He spat the last words but it quickly turned into a pained moan as the bones in his jaw started cracking under Raven's grip.

"Don't fool around, Mr. Hound," warned Raven. "I don't appreciate it." Killing intent flashed in her blood-red eyes and the man desperately tried to nod his consent, even with the extra pain it brought. Raven loosened her grip again. "Your name and relation to Elder Myrtus Willow."

"I . . . my birth name is Rooter Willow. Myrtus is my cousin."

Raven narrowed her eyes and behind her she could hear Javelin's sharp intake of air. He moved up closer to Raven and the prisoner, Rooter. "Was it him who asked you to kill Lark and Martin?" he asked, anger overflowing in his eyes. Rooter opened his mouth to speak but Javelin was too impatient, and punched the former in the gut. "Speak, dammit!"

Raven let go of Rooter's jaw and swiftly pulled Javelin away. "What are you doing!" she chided, carefully inspecting the boy's hand - there were several fractures in his bones.

"He tried to kill them Raven! If Elder Willow is his cousin then . . ."

Raven held up a finger to Javelin's mouth to silence him, causing the boy to twitch slightly under her touch. "I know, Javelin, but let me do it, okay?" As she spoke, the hand that still held Javelin's fractured ones started to glow warmly. The light was weak, to the point were it likely wouldn't even be visible in daylight, but slowly the fractures in Javelin's hand started heal. Seeing that Javelin wasn't about to protest, Raven's other hand also started glowing and she placed it above the Javelin's.

As Raven felt the bones healing, she couldn't help but sigh. 'It's too slow. . . . The path of healing really is closed for me, huh?'

Ever since Raven got her hands on her first Divine Healing Skill, Raven had been having a comparatively hard time learning them. At first it had just been in relation to how fast she would learn other skills but gradually it had grown worse, to the point where even the healing skills she had already mastered started to lose their efficiency. She didn't know why, but since she had started cultivating in the reversed waterfall, Raven had gotten the feeling that perhaps there was something blocking her from using the more nurturing aspects of spirit essence, at least in any other regard than strengthening her own body.