Chapter 34: Imperial Banquet

A slightly awkward silence filled dorm room 207 after that. Raven could tell that Javelin was a bit conflicted over her presence; she could have asked him a few leading questions about himself to break the ice but it wasn't really the Raven-Night thing to do, so she let the awkwardness draw out for a while.

Eventually, Javelin cleared his throat. "Ah, um, I'm headed for a banquet at the palace," he lifted his hand to scratch the back of his neck, causing Raven to secretly smile at the familiar gesture, "so, I guess I'll see you when I get back. . . . Or are you staying with your family tonight?"

"I will be, but actually, Elder Kagu said I was invited to the banquet as well and that you would bring me along, if I wanted to go."

"Really?" another conflicted look appeared on his face,"and you want to go? It is usually only nobility, Elders and ambassadors present. . . ."

"So?" Raven gave him a questioning glare, "are you saying I'm not worthy enough to go?"

"No, no, I didn't mean that," he sighed and scratched the back of his neck again, "it's just a bit . . . stiff, that's all. I'm not sure you'd like it."

"We won't know until we've tried." Raven smiled a cold smile that was closer to a sneer than anything else.

If Javelin thought that the mockery was aimed at him, he ignored it. Instead he moved towards the door and motioned for Raven to follow.

"Well, I've warned you." he said and then added in a lower voice, "I wouldn't go if I had a choice."

"Sister, you are being rather harsh with Javelin; shouldn't you be trying to make friends?" Hoatzin asked as they followed Javelin down the hallway outside.

"I need to make useful allies, not friends," Raven thought back, "and besides, I bet he has his own notions of what I've been through to mature my soul so quickly - it would be more odd if I acted sociably."

Hoatzin said no more, but he couldn't help but feel that his sister had grown colder than he remembered her.

The journey to the palace was an uneventful one. Raven felt how Javelin kept shooting glances at her, only to look away with renewed confusion moments later. If she hadn't know better, Raven would have thought that Javelin suspected her identity, but he showed no signs of mistrust towards her.

Once at the palace, Javelin could have asked a palace attendant to show Raven to Elder Kagu, but he opted to do it himself. It didn't take long before they stopped outside a small wooden door with a few familiar presences waiting on the other side.

"Elder Kagu should be inside," Javelin nodded towards the door, "I will see you in the banquet hall."

With that, he turned around and continued down the hallway.

"It's time for you to leave as well - I'll see you in a few days, big brother."

"Yes, sister - take care of yourself." Hoatzin took flight and flew out through a nearby window.

"You too, big brother," replied Raven as she placed her hand on the doorknob. She was just about to open the door when Javelin called out to her from further down the hallway.

"Come to me if anyone tries to harass you; we roommates have to look out for each other." As the last words left his mouth, Javelin turned around a corner and disappeared from Raven's line of sight.

Raven blinked and almost started laughing.

'You feel awkward in my presence but are still willing to protect me? Someone has instilled a great sense of honor in you, mister Hake.'