Chapter 65: Jealous, Are We?

It took nearly a week for the Everest Hawk to fly Raven and the other four students back to Sky City and the academy. When they arrived, the group's leader dismissed the rest of them, graciously offering to take care of the tedious task of reporting their results to the headmaster alone.

Raven shook her head as she watched the boy walk away. He might have the highest cultivation of the group but his tactical planning had been dismal; had it not been for Javelin's and her own inputs, they wouldn't have found even half as many rogue spiritualists. In fact, the boy's rash actions had almost cost them their healer at one point - not that he would ever admit it though.

"All that flying has made me quite hungry," said Cara suddenly and once more moved to snuggle up next to Javelin. "Need I remind you that you promised to let me fix you dinner once we returned?"

Raven rolled her eyes. Cara had coaxed that promise out of Javelin after the group leader's mistake had almost gotten her killed by a rampaging spirit beast. Raven had been the one who intervened in the last second and saved her by chasing off the beast, but to hide her strength Javelin had been given the credit. Ever since, Cara seemed absolutely smitten by Javelin and was very persistent in her advances. 'Maybe I shouldn't have rescued her. . . .' Raven thought bitterly.

Even after over a week of this type of attention Javelin couldn't help but become a bit flustered by Cara's closeness. He glanced up at Raven, instinctively swallowing when their eyes met. He cleared his throat and tried to pry away from the clingy girl, which was nigh impossible without pushing harder against her chest. "Ah, I'm not sure now is a good time. . . ."

"Why not?" pouted Cara and tightened her grip around Javelin's arm, sinking it deeper into her bosom.

Javelin gave Raven a helpless look and for some reason it annoyed her immensely. "I'm visiting my uncle," she said coldly, "so don't mind me." With a final pointed glare towards Javelin, Raven turned and remounted the Everest Hawk. Before Javelin had a chance to protest, the great bird had taken flight, heading for the lower levels.

'Don't feel like rejecting her on your own? Well I'm not going to help you!'

Left behind was Javelin, completely at a loss for what to do.

A still annoyed Raven slammed open the door to her uncle's house less than half an hour later. With unnecessarily loud steps she strode into the kitchen and sunk down on the closest chair. She lay back her head and sighed heavily.

"Welcome back, sir." Bill's polite voice was quick to greet her but Raven only waved her hand grudgingly in return, however the motion froze mid-air and her eyes popped open. 'Did he say sir?'

A familiar voice filled the kitchen. "The little brat didn't notice us, how unusual. Let me guess: it's because of a girl?"

The sharp noise of slap rung out. "Not everyone thinks with his pants, Saltmarsh."

'I'm getting rusty,' thought Raven and smiled wearily. She had let her emotions get the better of her and hadn't even registered that there were three people in the house rather than one - something she should have known nearly a third of a mile away.

Raven chuckled and straightened in her chair. "Actually, he's about half right this time, Uncle Dove."

"Haha, see? I told you the brat's growing up!" Saltmarsh jabbed an elbow into Dove's ribs. "Tell me all about her! Is she . . ." he held up his hands to his chest to illustrate his point, causing Dove to shake his head disapprovingly.

Raven didn't honor Saltmarsh's question with an answer and instead asked one of her own; "I thought your mercenary corps was given a long time assignment at the Earth Empire's border until next winter - how come you're back already?"