Chapter 28: What's Wrong With Dean?

[[Elena P.O.V.]]

Garth and I have been walking forever and my legs are so cold that they are practically numb.  I can't feel my nose, or cheeks, or lips and I'm shivering so badly that I can hardly walk.  I look over at Garth and he's doing even worse than me.  The snow is beginning to freeze on his eyelashes. "Garth, we have to be close. We've been walking for so long, I know we're close!" I say, trying my very best to make him feel better. I scoot over closer to him and walk right next to him, making sure he doesn't pass out or anything. "How are you feeling?" I ask with a worried look on my face.

When I speak I can hardly feel my lips tap against each other because they're so cold and numb. "I—I'm feeling cold and frozen." He says, forcing out a fake laugh. He's trying to lighten the mood just as much as I am. I pull out my phone again and check to see if I have any service yet. "Maybe we have service now." I say curiously. I look at my phone screen and am unfortunately disappointed. "Dammit, still no freaking service." I whine. We continue to walk.

[[Sam and Dean/Sam P.O.V.]]

Dean and I go pretty deep into the woods. We've been yelling for Elena and Garth for at least fifteen minutes. I continue to yell, but Dean seems to have given up, which isn't like him at all. I stop walking for a moment and turn back, looking at him from behind me. He's still walking behind me but he's taking his time and hanging back pretty far away from me. "Dean?" I yell to him. He keeps walking but he's constantly watching his steps and looking at the ground. I yell again, "Dean!" Finally he looks up at me. His expression is emotionless and cold. His eyes are distant.

Something is wrong with him and I notice immediately.

"Dean, are you okay?" I ask. "I'm great." Dean answers with absolutely no emotion. His tone of voice is even different than usual. I raise a brow, "What's wrong with you? Why are you acting all weird now?" I ask. My mind begins to create a hundred different scenarios of what could be wrong. As I talk to him my mind is in constant thought and motion. "Nothing's wrong. I'm great." He says. Okay, there's no way. Dean always freaks in times like this when it has to do with Elena's safety. Something is definitely not right. What's wrong with Dean? "Uhh...okay..." I say awkwardly, deciding to continue to walk and yell to for Elena and Garth. I yell their names over and over, getting nothing in return. Dammit, where are they?

[[Elena and Garth/Elena P.O.V.]]

After about ten minutes, Garth and I discover a barn. It's an old abandoned barn that looks as if it's about to cave in, but maybe there are things inside in which we can use to make a fire or something. "Garth look! Maybe there's supplies inside that we can use to make a fire!" Garth's eyes light up and his face comes back to life as he looks over at the barn. He picks up his pace as we near it, while I follow behind him. Before we go inside, Garth pulls out his gun. "Okay, let me make sure there's nothing inside first." Garth says protectively. It's very sweet, and unusually manly of Garth to do this, but honestly if there is something in there, there isn't much more he can do about it than I.

We stand outside of the barn doors against the wall as Garth holds his gun out. Every time the both of us exhale, our breathing creates smoke-like clouds. He quickly kicks open the door and goes running inside aiming his gun. He just kind of yells loudly and I awkwardly and slowly follow behind him. There's definitely nothing inside. "All right, it's safe. We're good, coast is clear." Garth says, putting his gun back into his pocket as he realizes there's nothing inside. I slightly laugh under my breath.

I immediately begin to look for wood and supplies to start a fire. "Look here! Lighter fluid and a box of matches!" Garth yells excitedly as he picks up a container filled with lighter fluid and a box of matches. Thank you Jesus. That is exactly what we need, perfect to start a fire. I grin widely knowing that we'll warm up pretty fast as soon as we start this fire. I walk over to the corner of the barn and find a pile of fire wood. Wow are we lucky. "Garth I found some wood!" I yell. "Perfect, bring a couple of pieces over here!" Garth yells back. I pick up about four or five pieces and walk them over to the middle of the barn where Garth is standing. We set them up and place small masses of hay and grass in the middle of it. It takes us about ten minutes to create. Garth takes the lighter fluid and squirts it all over our masterpiece. "Here we go." He says as he pulls out a match from the box of matches. He slowly strikes the match across the box and it lights. "Here comes the heat!" He yells in a goofy dramatic voice. I slightly laugh at him, moving in closer to the wood. As soon as he drops the match, the pit we made engulfs in flames. The warmth and heat that comes off of it warms us up immediately and we are finally feeling better. "How do you feel now?" I ask Garth as I hold my hands out in front of the flames, noticing all of the feeling come back to my body. "Warm and cozy." He says, grinning with laughter. I smile. "Perfect." We both stand there and warm ourselves up, so much so that we can take our huge jackets off.