Chapter 8

Nan walked down the hallway, clutching the little bottle with her 'sleeping syrup' in it. She was so nervous. 

How am I supposed to trick Marley into drinking this?

I don't know. I wouldn't even do it.

Thanks for the help...

Just lie to her or something...

Lying is not going to work on her...

She was brutally beat up and hit repeatedly over the head with a bat. I don't think she is really together if you know what I mean.

I guess you are right.

I am always right...

Nan was at her room in no time. Before she unlocked the door, it swung open, revealing Marley in her slacks and white blouse, her coat, scarf, and blazer scattered on the ground. "What?"

"Just walking in here..." Nan walked over to her bed and started getting ready for bed. "You aren't asleep yet?"

"I'm not tired." Marley stated as she walked around the room. Nan turned around and looked at Marley. She had dark cirles under her eyes, her eyes bloodshot, plus for the fact that she could barely stand up without keeping a hand on the table or chair.

"Yes you are. I can see it in your eyes." Nan stated as she pulled out a cup and filled it with water, descretely pouring her syrup in it. It was luckily clear so it just looked like water.

"No you can't." Marley said as she looked at Nan.

"Okay. Okay. Before I go to bed, please at least drink this water..." She held it out to Marley as she stared at it.

"Why?" 

"Because it is good for you. You haven't been eating or drinking anything and it is unhealthy." 

"I am fine Nan. Just leave me alone, please." Marley muttered as she turned around. 

Did she just say please? Man, she really is out of it.

"After you drink this water. Do this... for me." Nan added, trying to play the guilt card.

Marley snapped around, glaring at Nan. "Fine. Give me the blasted water." Marley snatched it out of her hand and gulped it down fast, handing Nan the empty glass. Marley gagged a little. "What was that?"

"Water. Why?" Nan tried to pull this off.

"It did not taste like water." Marley started swaying on the spot. Her eyelids started drooping. Marley yawned. "What was..." Then her eyes went wide. "Nan, you didn't..." 

Marley's knees buckled underneath her as she fell down, having Nan catch her. Nan laid Marley onto her bed. "I had to. You need sleep to heal. You were beat up badly and you haven't eaten. Whenever you sleep, you have nightmares and when you don't sleep, you pace the room muttering to yourself and making sure I am still in my bed, waking me up every hour just so you know I am still alive. It is bad Marley."

Marley grabbed onto Nan's arm and pulled her closer. "You drugged me. You drugged me... Watch your back Anna Doy..." Marley closed her eyes as her hand sagged from Nan's arm. She was out cold.

"It is Nan." She corrected and smiled, knowing that Marley had seven hours to sleep peacefully. She changed into her pajamas and sat in bed, watching Marley, making sure she didn't give her too much. She heard a knock on the door as Nan stood up quietly and shuffled over to the door. She opened it up, knowing that it would not be a guard since they have keys. "Harry. What are you doing here?"