Chapter 29

Marley knew she was dying. She felt it in every inch of her body. The immense pain that radiated from her wasn't piercing but suffocating, enveloping her in misery. She could barely think of anything else and just begged for death. She could feel the blood oozing from her wounds, especially the stab wound in her back. It hadn't severed an artery or punctured a liver, but it did hit an organ and she knew she only had minutes, if not an hour before she could finally see her parents again.

She remembered that dream vividly; the sunflowers, the white furniture, her mother's green eyes, her father's smile. She hadn't truly known how much she missed them until now. 

Marley's labored breathing was the only sound that filled the room. She felt herself relax into the ground, accepting fate when she heard something echo off the walls. 

It's just your mind.

Marley ignored the sound and focused on that dream. Marley's chest heaved due to the lack of air as she heard that noise again and it sounded a lot like her name. Marley opened her eyes reluctantly and looked at the ceiling.

"Marley!" It was definitely her name and it was getting closer. "Marley!" Marley gasped. It was Nan. 

"Nan!" Marley tried to yell back but barely any noise came out. She rolled painfully onto her stomach and pushed herself up. She quickly slipped her coat on and pulled herself onto her feet using the wall. She tried to walk but wobbled and crashed into the wall, gasping in pain. "Nan, I'm coming!" Marley rasped as she supported herself and slowly made her way out into the brightly lit hallway.

Marley almost threw up as the lights blinded her. She knew she was leaving a trail of blood behind her which didn't aid in her escape at all. In all honesty, she was going to be a liability with the stab wounds, whipped back, puntured lung, torn apart feet, and severe concussion. She heard footsteps approach behind her as she slowly turned to see a bright flash of red hair zoom past her.

"Come on Marley!" Nan skidded to a halt. "Bloody Hell!" She came back and put Marley's right arm over her shoulder. "I'm going to get you out of here, okay? Just hang on." Her voice sounded like it was coming through molasses as Marley gently nodded her head. She lifted a lot of Marley's weight onto her fragile frame and started the quick pace again.

Marley bit down on the side of her mouth to keep herself from crying in pain. Her broken ribs were moving around but she didn't want to cause anymore worry to Nan than she already had. She risked her neck to save her. "Thank you Nan." Marley whispered.

Nan looked at her with a calm face. 

How is she so calm in a situation like this? We are getting pursued and she's carrying a whole 145 pounds on her shoulders.

Nan smiled. "You're my best friend. I'd do anything for you." Nan turned the corner, confused about where she was going.

"Keep going straight like you are going to the forest and then follow the PT trail. I'll lead you from there. I found a door last time I ran it." Nan nodded and kept pushing forward.

Marley looked at Nan and examined what she was wearing: grey skinny jeans, white blouse with a grey sweater vest over it, dark grey cartigan, grey Toms. Her hair was down and wavy, reaching just to the middle of her shoulder blades. "Where did you get your clothes?" Marley asked, coughing. She noticed blood drip from her mouth as she wiped it away.

Nan giggled. "How come you are paying attention to my clothes when you should be paying attention to your health?"

Marley shrugged but then flinched, the pain in her collarbone reminding her of what happened only moments ago.