Chapter Thirteen: The Quiet Boy

( a/n: trigger warnings: pukey vomity grossness, mentions of blood --- As always if you have any questions about the content in this chapter before you read it just message me here or hmu on tumblr! cliffordsdream.tumblr.com

Alsooo I don't know if anyone's actually going to like this chapter. It's pretty long, about 4.2k words, but some of you might think it's going away from the main plot, but I promise in the next few chapters you'll see exactly why this one was included.)

I'm tired. Not bone-achingly exhausted, but I'm tired. Niall's gone to the world and has been for at least two hours, but I just can't sleep. It's nice having him there, having him to hold at night, but now I just can't stop thinking about everything. I shouldn't lose sleep over this, I really shouldn't, but I can't help it. I don't know what Niall wants or really even what I want and it's driving me crazy.

That's probably why I carefully slipped out of Niall's hold an hour ago, his warmth hard to leave but his heartbeat under my ear making me think things I'd rather not. I turned on Niall's Xbox in his living room, booting up Netflix and playing some simple comedy that I don't really have to pay attention to. Some part of me wants to call someone, anyone, that could help me with this three in the morning crisis, but I know no one can. It's between me and Niall.

I sit there for who knows how long, aimlessly searching through shows and movies, skipping anything and everything that makes me think of my situation with Niall, which is well, everything.

A mechanical ding makes me jump, and before I know it I'm thanking God himself for having Ollie show up to distract me. He's probably just come here to sleep because he doesn't want to get a hotel, and I don't really know him, but still. Any distraction is a welcomed distraction.

Ollie comes in quietly, using his own key instead of knocking, pushing his boots off in the small hallway leading to the living room before he even notices that I'm there. He gives me a soft smile, but it's incredibly forced, his tired features obvious.

"Is Niall up?" Ollie asks quietly, peeling off his coat, hanging it on a hook by the stairs. I shake my head and he gives me a disappointed look, his face dropping instantly.

"Something wrong?" I ask, but Ollie just shrugs, walking up to the couch and sitting next to me, letting out a small whimper as he sits. Something is definitely wrong.

"Just feeling poorly. Figured Niall could give me some meds or something. I never know what to take. I guess being a parent just makes you good at that kind of stuff." Ollie tells me quietly, leaning against the armrest of the couch and covering his face with his hands. He takes a few deep breaths with his eyes closed, a certain franticness to his features.

"Can you- I think I'm gonna throw up." Ollie tells me, and I instantly move into action, trying to find something for him to throw up in before he pukes. There's a small trash can right next to the entrance of Niall's guest bedroom, so I grab it as quickly as I can, giving it to Ollie just before he vomits. There's not much there, but he still seems incredibly relieved. Some part of me wonders if he's been drinking, but that's before I turn the living room lights on.

Ollie's paler than I could ever imagine being healthy, and the hair normally covering his forehead is stuck to it, the sweat from cold chills building up, and there's no doubt he has a fever. It only takes one look at him to figure out he's ill, and part of me starts to panic. I'm not sure if what's happening to Ollie is because of his kidneys or a simple stomach bug. I'd hate to overreact, but at the same time it'd be far worse if I underestimated this sudden onset of sickness.