Chapter 3

Summer passed by faster than I thought possible and I soon found myself already a week into seventh grade. This was the big high school now and all the rumors that I've heard from elementary school came rushing back to me. Fortunately, no one dunked my head into the toilet or spit paper balls at me. At least not yet anyway. Making my way to homeroom, I was pleased to see my best friend Lauren saving a seat for me near the back of the room. I quickly made my way over to her and tried to avoid the looks being given to me.

"What's everyone's problem?" I asked Lauren as I sat down next to her. Lauren hesitated before answering.

"Maybe they all have a crush on you?" she suggested. Her voice sounded nervous which was unusual.

"Lauren what is it. Just tell me," I said. She continued avoiding my eyes for another minute.

"Alex told everyone you're a lesbian," she said quickly, hoping I wouldn't understand what she had just said. I felt my breath leave my lungs as I looked towards the front of the room. The disgusted stares from the girls around me and the look of amusement by the boys.

"What a freak," whispered some girl.

"Hey can I watch?" asked a boy sitting across from me. The other boys in the class laughed at that. I looked at Lauren who simply stared at the floor. Not even my best friend had anything to say to me. Tears escaped my eyes as I grabbed my things and left the room. Everyone's laughter was still in my mind even as I reached the bathroom. I quickly walked over to the sink and stood for a second, trying to catch my breath. Looking in the mirror, I saw the tears still fresh on my face and the desperation written so clearly across it. I didn't want this. I only wanted to be normal. After a few minutes, I had finally stopped crying and decided to grab a few things from my locker before going home. There was no way I could go back to school right now. On the way to my locker, I saw a group of girls standing near a locker. As I approached them, I could see that one of the girls was Alex. Our eyes met at the same time and I could see the fear in her eyes. Why was she scared of me?

"Look everyone, it's the lesbian. Watch out or she might try to kiss you," one of the girls said. The rest of the girls laughed and to my disappointment, Alex joined in after a second.

"I trusted you Alex," I said, barely keeping the tears back. Alex only looked at the ground, not acknowledging my words. I brushed past them and decided I didn't need those things from my locker anymore. I just wanted to go home. Everything was great so far and now this had to happen. If only Alex hadn't told everyone. If only I hadn't trusted her enough to tell her in the first place. Everything would be back to the way it was and I would still be liked. I opened my front door and followed my mothers voice to the kitchen.

"Tobin what are you doing home so early?" my mom asked me. There was worry in her eyes and something inside me decided to just come out and tell her everything.

"Everyone at school knows im a lesbian because Alex, Lauren's older sister, told them. And now you know so you'll probably get all weird too so now I have nobody. So if you need me, I'll be in my room for the rest of my life," I said while turning to leave the kitchen.

"Tobin wait. We have to talk," my mom said. I sighed and sat down. This was going to take a while. My mom sat beside me and looked me in the eyes for a minute.

"Tobin, you have to understand something. It's perfectly okay to be gay. I just want you to be happy and I know you must be worried about what I have to say. So I want you to know that you're still my little Tobin. Even when you grow up and you're married, you'll still be my baby. Nothing will ever change that okay?" I teared up for what seemed like the hundredth time today and hugged her.

"But everyone at school thinks I'm some kind of freak now," I cried into her shoulder. She simply rubbed my back and let me cry it all out. Ten minutes had passed before I actually did cry it all out and I felt better. Things were still the same but crying really did help in great ways.

"The people at school will keep being judgmental and stupid as long as they see that they're getting to you. As soon as you show them that you don't care what they have to say, a lot of them won't bother will the whole teasing thing anymore. A few of them will keep doing it, but that's because they feel bad about themselves so they have to bring other down with them," my mother explained. I nodded in agreement. Maybe she was right after all.

"Being yourself is a great thing Tobin, and this is a part of you now. Dont you ever change for anyone. Promise me," She stuck out her pinky.

"I promise you," I said, connecting our pinkys. My mother let me stay the rest of the day home, which I was thrilled about. I needed a lot of sleep before going back to school again. Before going to bed, I promised myself one thing: I'd definitely have a little talk to Alex tomorrow. Her kind words from over the summer came back to me as I drifted to sleep. I jerked awake as I remembered something that she had told me that day. She was gay too. I smiled for the first time today at the thought of the power I had now. Maybe the school deserved to know this too.

-------

im so bad at updating agdhdj. school started recently and i get super busy but i had some free time so i decided you guys might want an update. Thanks to everyone thats been reading my stories. I appreciate it and i hope this update doesn't suck.

p.s. if i dont update soon, definitely remind me to update bc i tend to listen about stuff like that.

p.s.#2. i love you katie :))))