Puddles.

Puddles (Adrienette)

Marinette gripped her ladybug print umbrella. The wind had started to blow more now, and could possibly tear the umbrella out of her grip. Then again, she didn't very much care for the thing. The last time the small umbrella had been used was in the third grade. Sadly, her beige umbrella was not found in her room when she woke up this morning to the pouring rain.

Marinette could feel her purse trying to get away from her as she walked on, careful not to step into any puddles that could possibly ruin her new shoes.

The soft pattering of rain was starting to get on her nerves. It was like that annoying sound of someone tapping their fingers on a desk.

It took a few more minutes of walking in the rain when Marinette could finally see the roof of the school. She smiled a little, knowing that any second she would be warm and dry inside her classroom.

A car pulled up next to her, and she slowed down a little. Through the fog, Marinette couldn't tell what type of car it was.

The window rolled up and the girl found herself in a similar situation she had been in before. Instead of her yo-yo twirling in Ladybug's hand, it was an umbrella gripped tightly in Marinette's hands. But Adrien was in the exact same place.

His green eyes met her blue ones, and she took a step back as he opened the door with a black umbrella in hand.

Adrien opened it up, and two cat ears sprung out from the top. His cheeks flushed red and he cursed silently.

"I thought I grabbed the other one." He explained, scratching the back of his head awkwardly.

Marinette laughed. "I couldn't find my other umbrellas." She said with a smile smile tugging at the edges of her lips.

"I think my excuse is better than yours." Adrien said with a smirk that seemed to familiar to Marinette.

Where had she seen that before?

She shook of the feeling of deja vu and turned back to Adrien. It surprised her that she had something to him and not have stuttered at all.

"Right." Marinette rolls her eyes, narrowly missing a puddle.

An awkward silence washed over the two. Every second they wasted was a second less before they would reach the school.

"So, uhm." Marinette piped up. "Why'd you get out of the car before you-- uh, you know. Reach the-- the school?"

And there goes the not stuttering streak.

Adrien shrugged. "I don't know." He confessed. "But I saw you walking alone, and I thought you might like some company."

We're alone. Was the thought bouncing around in Marinette's skull. I can finally tell him. But without Alya around, she doubted she could even say a syllable.

"Adrien?" She said after a moment of thinking about it. "I.. I have something to tell you."

He looked her with curiosity gleaming in his green eyes. Where had she seen that look before? Marinette felt like she was so close to finding it out, but each time she tried to grab the thought, it flew out of her reach. She bit her lip, trying to muster up all the courage she could give and just tell him.

And so she did.

"Je 'taime." She shouted, stopping suddenly with her black rain boots drowning in a puddle. She tried her best to ignore the wet feeling of the rain water creeping into her boots, putting all her willpower into saying what she had wanted to say for so long. "I really do. You've been my pride and joy for a year now, and I have never gotten the courage to tell you so. Adrien Agreste, you are the love of my life and I believe that you can make me happier than I have ever been. Why do I love you so much? I do. I just do, and I--"

Adrien's expression made her stop, her finger quivering from both the cold and the nervous feeling of what he was going to say. He shook his head slowly, looking down with a frown and Marinette realized what he felt about what she had just said.

"Oh." She said, her mouth forming a thin line. "Oh, ok."

Marinette could feel the dam about to break, unleashing a flood of tears. But she keot strong. She stood, there meeting his eyes even if he tried to look away. That's when she realized she wasn't surprised. She wasn't sad. There was always that feeling deep inside her that said that this was going to happen. And it finally did.

"I like someone else, Mari." He answered with a sigh. "I'm.. I'm sorry."

The ladybug umbrella fell too the ground, landing in a puddle. The wind immediatly picked up, scooping it away to a new life. Adrien's eyes stared at the umbrella as it flew away, but Marinette was still looking straight into his face.

She swallowed, turning around and running away from the direction of the school, back home and out of sight. Adrien cringed, running a hand through his wet hair. "Je l'ai fait pour vous, ma dame. Je suis désolé." He whispered into the morning fog.

Then he continued walking forward into the puddles, his mind not leaving the fact he had just broken and emotionally scarred a girl he'd grown to think as a friend.

All that was left of that conversation was the ladybug umbrella, which was later found waiting outside the bakery door, in a mud ridden puddle.