Chapter 12

Jack POV

I wake up at 12 noon the next day. Something feels different. My phone rings and I pick it up.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Jack," I hear Jack say in a panicked tone.

"What's the matter?" I question him.

"It's Leighton, she's...." there's a long pause," she's gone."

My heart dropped. "What do you mean she's 'gone'?"

"She's gone, she left. I found a note saying she ran away and when I looked in her room she wasn't there and a lot of her stuff was gone."

"This can't be, what should we do?"

"I'm not sure exactly. My dad has filed a missing person report at the police station but I feel like you should do something, Jack."

I become confused. "Me? Why me? She hates me?"

"Well, maybe if you find her and just do something she'll come back. She won't answer my calls or texts and I need your help."

I sigh. "I'll do it, fine."

"Thanks so much, call me if you find her or anything." He says frantically and hangs up.

How will I find her?

Leighton POV

I find myself in front of a 7/11 gas station and walk inside. I stock up on some, not necessarily healthy, food. Once I'm done, I pay and leave to go to the motel I found and book a room. I'm a few miles down the road in a more run-down town but nowhere close to Jack. I look at my phone for once since a few hours ago and see that I have 20 more text messages and calls from my brother. Then, a call pops up from Jack. I panic and click the decline button and put down my phone.

Once I get my room, I take a shower to clean myself and then try to go to bed. I get a few minutes of sleep before I get another call. I see the name Jack, thinking it's my brother, and answer.

"Hello-" I start

"Leighton, please come back." It's Jack. His voice makes my stomach turn to mush.

"Why?"

"Your brother is worried, your dad is worried, Abbey is worried. I'm worried, Leigh. Please, everyone needs you."

"Don't be worried for me, go back to Rachel. I'm not your love and I'm not important enough to you for you to be worried over me. I ran away for a reason, and that reason was to make your life easier with me being gone."

I hear a sigh from the other end of the line. "You're not making my life easier like you think, you're making it more stressful. Same with everyone else. They're devastated without you."

"Jack, this is for the benefit of you and everyone who I've been a bother to."

"Please Leigh, I-" I cut him off.

"No, I'm sorry Jack." I say, regret full in me.

"Leigh-" Once more, I cut him off.

" I love you Jack," I say before hanging up.

Anger, depression, regret, and more feeling begin to spread inside me. Warm tears fall down my cheeks and land on the flimsy pillow I lay my head on. This is for the best, I tell myself.

Jack POV

The line goes dead and I angrily throw my phone across the room. I need to find her.

The next morning, I wake up and get ready before getting into my car to drive around and find Leighton. The first place I think of looking for her is the next town over, La Vista. After a 20 minute drive, I'm in town and I look around in the shops and Walmart as well as fast food joints. No sight of her, yet. I decide to look for her in motels and hotels. After a good 2 and a half hours of looking for her, there is no sighting of her. I start to drive back to Omaha but something catches my eye. Light brown hair that looks exactly like hers. I start to smile before pulling over and walk over to her. Happy, I walk up to her.

"Leighton!"

-------------------

Here is a long awaited chapter after a LONGGGGG PERIOD OF TIME. Love you all, keep voting and reading!