Fifteen

The next morning I slept in, I mean, I at least deserved a few extra hours of sleep. When I finally woke up, it was after twelve. I found Brice and my father's wife down stairs in the kitchen.

"See, I told you she wasn't dead." MJ smiled at my brother who only rolled his eyes in return. "I made turkey wraps and parfait for lunch." She said as she sat a plate down in front of me.

"Thanks." I mumbled as I ran my hands through my hair.

"Wow Cal, you look beat." Brice commented on my current physical appearance.

"Really? I hadn't noticed." I said sarcastically.

"Did you have fun last night?" She asked causally.

I nodded. "Yeah we went bowling after we left and I ran into some of my old friends. Oh by the way, I invited some of them over." I yawned.

"Oh? Well...that's nice. It's good to stay in contact with good friends."

"I don't know if they're good friends, we kind of just got along really well." I shrugged.

"Well...do you know when they plan on coming around?" Mary-Jane wiped down a counter.

"Not a clue. He said they'll give me a ring before hand."

"Well, just let me know. Maybe I can whip up a few snacks."

"No, I think they'll be okay. If we do though, I'll let you know." She nodded as I finished the rest of my breakfast/lunch.

I decided to take a nice hot shower, washing away yesterday's events. Just as my foot stepped on the bath mat, my phone buzzed on the bathroom counter.

"Hello?" I said as I towel dried my hair.

"Hi, um, I was wondering if I could speak with Callie?" A strangled voice asked.

"This is me? Who's asking?"

"Oh uh, hey Cal, it's um, Carter."

"Oh! Hiy! I'm sorry, it's just been so long since we've phoned each other. I didn't even recognize your voice."

"Yeah, so um, Janna'a been bugging me about dropping by and all and she just wanted to know if-"

"Yeah, yeah of course! You guys can come on over!"

"Yeah, well see, the thing is...we don't have a ride. My mom had to take the car today so-"

"Oh no worries, I'm just getting out the shower but I can come pick you both up if you'd like?" I spoke as I slipped in to a pair of jeans and a light long sleeve, the days were getting just a bit breezy.

"You drive now?" He laughed a little.

"Oh no, my um dad's...you know what, never mind, just be ready by two thirty." I didn't want to bring up the fact that my dad had a driver, that would just make me sound like a snooty prick, and I could tell they didn't like the idea of that Callie. I was stating second guess inviting them over. Maybe I should offered to go out for shakes or something, but it was too late now.

I nervously wrung my hands out as Vinny pulled into Carter'a drive way. He was about to get out, but I jumped to do so. "Oh um, no, it's fine, I can get them." He nodded as I stepped out into the cool air.

Carter's house was just as I remembered it, a simple white place with a dingy red door. His lawn was in desperate need of a cut and I could hear the sound of bumping music and dogs barking from his neighbors around him.

It didn't take long for him to answer. Janna followed out behind him. "I walked over to save you a trip." She shrugged as she walked passed me towards the car. "Mercedes? Wow Fisher you really have climbed up the totem pole."