Twenty-one

I'd gotten little to no sleep all night, no position was comfortable, my phone kept going off, and around one or two in the morning Ryan kept throwing things at my window trying to coax me into going to "our place". I was in no mood, and at the current moment I wanted absolutely nothing to do with him.

All morning, I did nothing but shut my self off in my room. I wouldn't even talk to Ethan, he was a connection to him. I hated the fact that he had to suffer because of this also. I felt like I was making him the helpless pet in the midst of a divorce.

On top of the hurt and humiliation, I was angry. I wanted to bite Jamie's head off and Caroline too. I was sure she probably had something to do with this. How could I have ever trusted her in the first place? Jamie I never liked, but Caroline, at one point I thought she was pretty decent.

But I guess I was wrong about all of them, Ryan included. I had been right from the start, they were heartless pricks. I know knew that I was going to expose them for who they really were.

I was laying passed out on my bed when there was a knock on my door. It was Mary-Jane.

"Go away please." I croaked. She tried soothing me when I first came home, but it didn't really work, I needed my mother's soothing voice and I couldn't get a hold of her.

"You have a phone call dear, it's from the children's ward."

I sighed and took the revived from him. There was something pulling at the back of my brain telling me I was forgetting something.

"Hello, Miss Fisher?"

"Uh yeah, this is me? May I ask who's calling?"

"This is Mrs. McCain, we met on Tuesday."

"Oh yes, hi, I remember."

"Yes, hello dear, how are you?"

"Uh," I said indifferently. "I'm doing...okay."

"Great! Well, you signed yourself up to come in this afternoon yes?"

"Oh!" Crap! I face palmed my self in the forehead. "I knew I was forgetting something." I did my best to suppress an oncoming groan, right now was just not the time for me.

"We have you down for three this afternoon." I looked at my clock, it was just after one. "Is that still ok? We can take your name off-"

"Oh no no, believe it's fine, I'm just a little tired but...I could use the distraction." I laughed airily.

"Oh goody! Be sure to pass the message along to Mr. Mercer! Bye bye now."

"Oh no wait-" I had no chance to catch her because her end of the line had already went dead.

This was just perfect. Ugh why had I even offered in the first place? What if he was there? Which it was likely that he was. Maybe I should just bail.

With a sigh, I finally made my way out of my room and downstairs. The place was quiet and I wasn't sure if anyone else was home. I found my dad siting at the kitchen table siping on a malt and reading the newspaper.

"I was starting to think you were dead." He chuckled a little.

I shot him a dark look. "I'm not in the mood." With a sigh, I made myself something to eat. I was dizzy in the head and my eyelids felt heavy and droopy. "Hey um, I kind of need the driver today, is that okay?"

My dead sat his malt down and gave me his attention. "Yeah, sure, I don't see why that would be a problem." His eyes crinkled when he smiled. "Say, shouldn't you be about ready to get your driver's license?"