Eighteen

When we finally made it home, I followed Ryan over to his parents house where they sung happy birthday and cut a cake. It was a small, more personal affair. Ryan got a few man toys from his parents, and a brand new acoustic guitar from Ethan.

Once that was over, Ethan, Ryan, Maggie and I all went out to the alley. Bowling and stale chips just never got old.

After leaving the Alley, it was already almost nine. Where had the day gone? Ryan and I hadn't had a single moment with just the two of us aside from a quick car ride this morning and afternoon. I couldn't exactly be all that put out, I mean, it was his birthday, of course everyone wanted to spend time with him.

I didn't care if I was going to be delirious tomorrow from lack of sleep, I had to get some quality time in, especially after seeing him with that Becky chick. I needed to remind him who his girlfriend was.

We decided of course, to meet at our place around eleven. He waited for me where our houses met and we then ran off into the night with each other.

I sighed and looked up at the night sky. It was a clear night, so you could see all the stars perfectly.

"Isn't it amazing how something so beautiful is so close, yet so far out of reach?" I mumbled into the quiet night.

Ryan propped himself up on one of his elbows and smiled at me. "You mean like you?"

I rolled my eyes with a small smile. "I'm not out of reach silly."

"Aren't you though?" He cocked a brow.

"If anything, you're the one who's out of reach."

He wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me into him, nuzzling his chin in the crook of my shoulder blade and neck, I smiled at the ticklely feeling it brought.

"What makes you say that?" He said quietly.

I felt myself shrug. "I don't know, you're so close...yet so far out of reach. I mean, yeah, you're my boyfriend and you're mine, but, you're also a lot of other peoples."

"Callie," he forced me to turn and face him. "I could be with any girl I wanted, and I chose you." He brushed my bottom lip with his thumb. "I'm not use to this committed relationship thing, but, because of you, I'm willing to try." He said quietly.

I closed my eyes and smiled. "Who'd have ever thought to hear those words coming from Ryan Mercer?"

"Don't push it." He chuckled quietly.

"Can I ask you something?"

"I don't know, can you?"

I opened my eyes to find him smirking at me. "How'd we get from downright hating each other, to here? What made you change your mind about me?"

He brought his hand up and intertwined it with mine, resting his head on mine. "I don't know." He breathed. "I guess I just...wasn't used to a girl responding to me in the way you did. I mean, you hated me the moment we met." He chuckled a little and I smiled. "But, I guess that's partly what attracted me towards you. How, headstrong and, independent you are. Most girls I talk to are always...needy, and clingy, and you're nothing like that. Which, I guess makes me the lucky one." He grinned. "What about you, what changed your mind?"

I bit my bottom lip as I looked directly in his eyes. What did change the way I felt towards him? Was it his passion for music and children? His softer side, the real him? I sighed a little. "I don't know Ryan Mercer, I guess there's just something about you...and I don't know what it is but...I think I like it." I finally said.

He pulled me on to him and kissed me, catching me by surprise as his hands hugged me closer to him. Without breaking the kiss, he switched our positions, shielding the rest of me with his.