Chapter 32

Anna's P.O.V

My feet made no sound on the soft grassy path as I ran, sobs racking my body. I knew I could go no where - I was in an island. All I knew was that I had to get away from Jason, for a while atleast. I need time to think, to absorb the fact that Jason had killed my father.

Why would he do that?

My feet finally came in contact with the soft sand in the beach, and I sighed, shooting a glance over my shoulder to make sure no one had followed me.

My breath was taken away when I looked at the sight in front of me, and for a moment, I forgot that Jason had killed my dad. I forgot that he had kidnapped me. I forgot that I was sad. I forgot that I had been falling for Jason.

The beauty of the beach overwhelmed me. The moon shone down, casting a silver glaze over everything. The stars were perched high up in the sky, small, but twinkling. The waves were soft, yet angry. The sight was beautiful.

But I knew Jason would come looking for me, and I wasn't ready to face him yet. Thats when my eyes fell on something rocky and dark in a distance. Without casting it another thought, I ran in the soft sand towards it.

Only when I was close enough, I realised that it was a cliff. A high cliff. My heart jumped as I carefully picked my way up the cliff.

The cliff was not very steep, set in the corner of the beach. It was like the cliff I had seen in the beginning of the film Lion King. I climbed it easily, eyeing the top.

I heaved a sigh when I finally reached the top. The place wasn't pointy as you would expect any normal cliff to be like, instead it was broad. There was soft heather under my foot and I didn't miss my shoes on my bare feet.

The air smelled salty, refreshing and a gust of cold wind blew, soothing me, and drying the hot tears on my cheeks.

I took a few careful steps towards the edge and then sat down, a few feet behind. The view from here was amazing. More beautiful than it had been down at the beach. Everything glowed, silver in the moonlight. The ocean spread out, vast and endless in front of the sand. It sparkled silver from the moonlight. I sighed, it was like magic up here, only my situation was no where near what I'd ever imagined.

I sighed, pulling my legs up under my chin and wrapping my arms around them. I buried my face in my legs and slowly rocked my self back and forth, trying to comfort myself.

My mind drifted back to reality and fresh tears made their way down my cheeks. My family had done nothing to Jason, and yet he did this to us. Killed my father, kidnapped me, leaving my poor mother to mourn. And I thought I was falling for him.

How could I? What was wrong with me? I felt disgusted with myself now, getting feelings towards the man who had killed my own father.

"Anna?" I heard a soft uncertain voice behind me. I groaned aloud, "What Jason? Haven't you done enough of a mess here? Just leave me alone!" I said without lifting my face, my voice breaking.

Jason didn't leave. I could feel his presence, uncertain yet pained. Jason walked towards me, sitting beside me. I sighed and turned around, taking a peek out of my arms I could see that he sat in the same position I sat - legs pulled up, and his arms wrapped around them. He wasn't looking at me, he was looking far away, at the ocean.

I lifted my chin. "I didn't mean to kill your father Anna." Jason said turning towards me, his voice soft. "Then why did you do it?" I asked, my voice soft too, just wanting to know the truth. Our eyes met, and I held the gaze, searching his caramel orbs. He looked away, sighing after a while.

"It was a long time back, you were little then. We were robbing some trashy bank," Jason said looking at me, "My gang and I were in a hurry, we were on a mission and we were bleeding precious time. We would have killed anyone who came in our way without hesitation. Your dad was unfortunate, he saw us, and then realising his mistake, he ran away with fear. We didn't have any time to deal with him then. But the next morning, I set Alf to track him down and kill him. And that was that. It wasn't even me who killed him, but I take on the full blame. I didn't know you then, I didn't know he was your dad."