chapter seventeen

Despite Bethany's protest, Troye went home that night - claiming he had to do something for his brother in the morning. Connor didn't mind, however, considering he had to take Brandon to his baseball game in the morning.

Brandon, even though he's fully capable of having one, doesn't have a license yet, so he's constantly having people drive him around to places everyday. Connor is the 'lucky' one who get's to take him to his baseball game in the morning. Cheryl said it would be good 'bonding time' for the brothers.

Connor has a strong resentment against baseball, he found it pointless and boring. Brandon, however, loves it. he's aware of Connor's hatred, but that doesn't stop him from making Connor attend his games.

"Can't I just like, drop you off?" Connor inquired.

"Mom would be pissed, so no."

"Please? We won't have to tell her," The fact that Connor was asking his sixteen year old brother from something was quite funny, considering it's usually the other way around.

"Fine," Brandon sighed, rolling his eyes. "But you owe me Ice cream."

"I never agreed to that," Connor argued back, briefly looking at Brandon then back on the road.

"Then you have to stay at the game."

__

Defeated, Connor agreed to take Brandon out for ice cream after the game to keep him quiet.

"Got everything? Your bat?" Connor started questioning.

"Yeah."

"Balls? wait you don't have any."

"Ha ha ha," Brandon replied sarcastically. Connor rolled his eyes at his little brother, looking around at the baseball field that he had parked in front of. For a second, he swore he saw a familiar mop of curls peaking out of a baseball cap, but he figured he was just seeing things.

"Oh shit," Brandon mumbled, hitting his head on the headrest. "I think I'm playing Tyde's team today,"

"Tyde? Who's that?"

"He's my friend from school. Both of our teams are undefeated, so whoever wins is basically the best." Brandon explained, reaching for his bat bag in the back of the car. "Apparently his brother is singing the National Anthem or something, even though they're Australian." Brandon scoffed.

"Australian? What's their last name?" Connor questioned, suddenly rethinking the whole 'dropping Brandon off' idea.

"Mellet, I think." Without wasting another second to think, Connor immediately put his car into park.

"I think I'm going to stick around" he announced, grabbing his keys and getting out of the car before Brandon could question him.

Confused, Brandon just accepted the fact that his brother is a dork and followed him out of the car.

"How long have you and this Tyde kid been friends?" Connor questioned as soon as Brandon caught up to him. "Have you been to his house? What's his family like?"

"Why do you care?" Brandon questioned, taking notice to Connors weird actions ever since he mentioned the Mellet's.

Connor stood behind the chained fence, looking to see if he could see Troye on the other side of the field. Sure enough, the boy he saw earlier was, in fact, Troye.

Even though Troye has seen Connor interact with Brandon, Connor wanted to act like he was the best brother there was. He felt the need to impress Troye.

Before Connor could do anything about it, Troye had made eye contact with the green-eyed boy, instantly smiling. He leaned over and whispered something to, who Connor assumed to be, Tyde before he started making his way over to Connor.

Quickly, Connor turned to Brandon, putting on a fake ass smile. "Have fun out there, B. Remember to keep your eye on the ball. Win or lose, you're still a champion to me..." Connor began rambling.

"What are y-" Brandon began asking, only to be cut off by Connor.

"How about we go out for ice cream after this, champ?"

"We were going to anywa-"

"That's the spirit," Connor smiled, giving his younger brother a playful noogie on the head.

"Since when do you call your brother 'champ'?" A familiar Australian spoke, making Connor turn around quickly.

"Oh you know, I've called him it for a few years now."

"No you haven't?" Brandon budded in, making Connor's cheeks red in embarrassment.

"busted," Troye snorted, laughing at Connor's lies. "So we're playing your team?"

"Apparently so. And you're singing the National Anthem?"

"Yup. How often to you see an Aussie dining the National Anthem at a minors baseball game?" Troye commented, causing all three boys to let out a slight giggle. "I have to get going now. Good luck, Brandon."

"Thank you! Tell Tyde I say 'good luck!'" then Troye was gone, running over to the other side of the field.

There was silence between the two brothers, until Brandon decided to speak up.

"You totally like him, don't you?" Brandon interrogated his brother, nudging him with his elbow.

"Me? Like Troye? That's... no" Connor replied, not sounding convincing at all. "Oh look, he's about to sing. Shut up and take your hat off." Connor quickly stated, attempting to change the subject.

Brandon rolled his eyes at his older brother for, what seemed like, the hundredth time this morning.

"oh say can you see..." Troye began, capturing the attention of everybody standing around the field.

Needless to say, Connor was taken aback by Troyes voice. Sure, he head heard him briefly in the car, but now he was really hearing Troye.

As Troye continued in with the song, Connor could only stare in amazement. Bethany was right, Troye truly did have a beautiful voice.

"...and the home of the brave," he finished, much to Connors dismay.

The entire crowd burst into a fit of applause, causing the smile on Troyes face to widen even more.

"Thank you" he spoke, right before running off the field. Connor was still amazed by Troyes vocals, because holy shit was he good.

"Connor, the game is starting, you can sit down now." Brandon spoke, causing to Connor to come out of his haze.

"What? oh okay." he took a seat in the bleachers, quickly taking out his phone as well.

The first thing he did was draft a text to Troye.

to: troye

holy. shit.

--

A/N

LITERALLY IT IS 1:30 AM AND I HAVE SCHOOL SOON AND IM SO TIRED AND THIS CHAPTER IS SO BAD BUT WHATEVER GOODNIGHT