Chapter 28

Michael's POV

I walk into the office at St. Mary's absentmindedly, without reason. At least I think I have no reason, until I realize I was chasing after Skipper. Again.

I just stand there in the doorway as she argues with the damn Chancellor, who happened to be here right now.

"What do you mean? The stupid trial is over with, and I can't go back to the hospital, so why am I still on Dorm Arrest?" If you had followed the rules of your arrest, and not snuck off to a different state... Twice, then maybe I would consider your request. But for now, the answer is definitely no."

She balls her tiny fists at her sides, while the anger grows exponentially in her eyes. I can tell she's going to do something that will end terribly, not that I should care anymore, but I won't stand by while she keeps digging a deeper and deeper grave for herself. If she won't look out for herself, I will.

"Let her off, man." They both turn around to look at me. The way the Chancellor looks at me is with disapproval, but she looks at me like I'm not even there. She looks right through me. She's not angry at me, sad, no emotion makes itself apparent. I guess that's how I know she's never coming back to me.

"What do you want, Michael? This is a completely different student who has nothing to do with you." "The first time she left... That was for a medical conference. Research that could change the world. The second time was my fault. I took her, and we flew in my private jet. It wasn't her fault, I asked her to leave."

"That doesn't make any difference, Mr. Jackson." "I think it does. I paid for the who refurbishment of the gym... And your office. I think I have some say, don't I? Unless you... Want me to take that money right back."

His face changes, his disapproving expression drops. "I do love the coffee machine." I thought so.

"Fine. You got lucky, Nelson." The Chancellor retreats back to his office, and Skipper speeds around me and walks out of the office, not stopping to thank me, or even look at me. I follow her loosely, but she soon shakes me, breaking into a run and disappearing into her dorm building.

"Well damn," I complain to myself, crossing my arms over my chest and walking to the parking lot. I think I deserved at least a 'thank you.'

I guess these little things are all I can do while the ice wall between us slowly melts. If it is even melting at all.

****

Skipper's POV

"This has to get to D.C by Friday, please, I need that." "Ma'am, if you wanted this envelope to get to D.C by Friday, you would've needed to bring this here yesterday morning." The post office clerk looks over her glasses at me disapprovingly. "Oh come on, I'll pay extra if you put a rush on it."

I've been all over town since my Dorm Arrest was lifted, trying to avoid Sperm Donor. It's only been two days, but I've managed to stay out since then. I had plenty of clothes, using X's debit card to buy everything my heart desires from Bergdorf's. I also used it to buy as much soy milk and carrots as I could eat and drink.

"You can pay for a rush on it? That's fifty-three dollars." I can more than pay for that. "Yup." I hold out X's debit card, which she refuses. "Cash only."

I stare at her reluctantly. I need this, I really do, but can I spend this drug money?

"Well? What's it gonna be?" I reach into my pocket, and remove two fifties, before sliding them across the counter. She sighs exasperatedly. "Do you have change." If I had change, wouldn't I have given it to you? "No, sorry."