Sick of Losing Soulmates (steve rogers x reader)

Warnings: overall angst, broken relationships, swearing, mentions of cheating, name-calling
Characters: Reader & Steve Rogers
Pairings: steve x reader
Prompt: Songfic of Sick of Losing Soulmates by Dodie Clark
A/N: The Chris mentioned in this oneshot is not Evans. It's kinda just a random name I put in. And sorry your name is Jenna, Chris, or Sam (short for Samantha). Also I recommend listening to song, it's fantastic.

It never meant to happen, but then again what does? Your so-called best friends slipped out of your grasp like children finding candy from their mother's handbag.

What a strange being you are, God knows where I'd be
If you hadn't found me, sitting all alone in the dark

"Y/N?" Steve whispers, peering in the doorway.

A dumb screenshot of youth
Watch how a cold broken teen
Will desperately lean upon a superglued human of proof

Tears prick your eyes, trickling slowly out of the corners of your eyes.
"Yeah?" You croak. He walks slowly towards you, assessing you in your fragile state of mind.
"What's the matter?" he says softly, sliding down to the floor joining you against the wall.
"It's stupid, really." you say sniffling.
"Nonsense, do tell. That is, if you're okay telling me. I won't tell a soul." You smile, and open up to the supersoldier.

What the hell would I be, without you
Brave face talk so lightly, hide the truth

"Okay. It's Jenna. And Chris. And Sam. But not Wilson, Sam, it's a different Sam." He nods encouraging you to continue. "There was a rumor that I was cheating on Chris, and Jenna told him about it. Then Sam and her started another rumor that I was sleeping with three guys at the same time. They consistently called me a slut and a whore, saying that I was an idiot for cheating on Chris." There was no more point trying to stop the tears bursting out of your eyes. It was like an endless river of sadness and depression.

Now I'm sick of losing soulmates, so where do we begin
I can finally see, you're as fucked up as me
So how do we win?

"I'm so sick of them, and I thought they were my friends. And as soon as I told Chris that we should break it off, he was relieved, that bastard. He admitted to cheating on me with another girl, and next thing you know, he's sucking face with Sam in the parking lot against my car." At this point, snot started to come out of your nose, so Steve handed you a few tissues.

I'm sick of losing soulmates, won't be alone again
I can finally see, you're as fucked up as me
So how do we win?

"What did I do wrong? Where and when did I start fucking up? When did I started fucking up so bad that they decided it wasn't worth it anymore?" You burst out, crying even harder. It seemed as if Steve wasn't sure how to respond, so he starts rubbing your back in an effort to comfort you.

We will grow old as friends, I've promised that before
So what's one more?
In our grey-haired circle, waiting for the end

"Y/N," Steve says, dropping his head to his chest. "you didn't screw up. He did. He fucked up. Your fake friends fucked up. Not you." You look up from your lap to his bent head.

Time and hearts wear us thin
So which path will you take, cause we both know a break
Does exactly what it says on the tin

"Even if they screwed up, where does that put me? I'm alone again. I've always been alone, and they've solidified that for sure." You've stopped crying at this point, but your head was throbbing from all the crying and your stuffy nose.

What the hell would I be, without you
Brave face talk so lightly, hide the truth

"No." He lifts his head up, looking into your tear-stricken eyes.
"No? How so?" He swallows, his adam's apple bobbing.

Cause I'm sick of losing soulmates, so where do we begin
I can finally see, you're as fucked up as me
So how do we win?

"You're not alone. You were and are never alone." he responds.

Yeah, I'm sick of losing soulmates, won't be alone again
I can finally see, you're as fucked up as me
So how do we win?

"What do you mean 'I'm never alone'?" you say, wiping the tears from your eyes that have been coming again.

I won't take no for an answer (I won't take no for an answer)

"You have us. The team, Nick, Maria, Buck, and Scott, to name a few."

I won't take no (I won't take no)

"How do I know that they're just being nice for the sake of being nice? That the reason they're being nice is because they're trying to encourage me to stay on the team." you spit out.

What the hell would I be, without you
Brave face talk so lightly, hide the truth

"Y/N," he says almost chuckling, his eyes crinkling as if remembering a memory. "it's just how it works. All harsh and hostile on the outside, all nice and funny on the inside. It's how it works, you know, keeping the baddies terrified of their asses' being whooped."
"Really?" you say, waves of his demeanor washing over you. "If that's the case, then they've really mastered their craft." you say, leaning against his shoulder.
"Yeah, they have their ways, and you have a way to get there as well."

Cause I'm sick of losing soulmates, so where do we begin
I can finally see, you're as fucked up as me
So how do we win?

"How do I get there?" you say, your voice cracking.
"I'll show you the way." he says, turning to face you and resting his forehead against yours.

Yeah, I'm sick of losing soulmates, won't be alone again
I can finally see, you're as fucked up as me
So how do we win?