Ch 36 - The Last Letter

CHAPTER XXXVI

THE LAST LETTER

The Xaladikta Roma held true to their word. On the evening of the sendoff, their leaders, Shandor, Emilian, Drina, and Mirela, delivered a stable of steeds to the outskirts of the Great Fairy Ring. Feliks and Romulus were presented with two gray stallions, and each circus hand and newly freed Card had their pick of a silver Arabian, white Tersk, or black Kabardin. With the horses came copious gifts and goods. There were blankets, furs, fresh clothes and colorful cloaks. Some of the saddles were strapped with baskets of fruit, bread, and salted meat; others were loaded with long-lasting staples like jam, honey, grain, and spices. The Gypsy soldiers imparted their finest tobacco and spirits—and last of all, their good-byes.

Viktor watched the proceedings with a lump in his throat. He wasn't ready for this moment, not yet, not ever. Romulus wandered through the oak roots with Blizzard back at his side. Even the wolf seemed to know a long journey was ahead. He came to sit in front of Viktor, staring up at him in an unusual way. Bending down, Viktor held out his hand, which was greeted with a muddy paw and a low whimper.

"So," said Romulus, "I guess this is it."

Viktor stood up. "Yeah."

"You'll be safe. I think we bought some time with the Leopard, and I'll be back before you know it—when the cold winds come." Romulus hesitated, a pained look in his eyes. "Blood brothers, right? Till the end?"

"Till the end," Viktor replied, and for the third time in his life, he shook Romulus' hand—a weak handshake, but a handshake nonetheless. It was a covenant.

With a last awkward glance, Romulus nodded and slipped away to talk with Evenova. In his place, a new figure appeared in the twilight, slim but willful, wounded but proud: The King in rags.

"Hello, Viktor."

"Oh ... Good-bye, Feliks."

"Good-bye?" The King of Diamonds snorted. "Not really. We'll see each other again."

"When?" Viktor said a bit too quickly.

"Well ... I'm not sure, but I have a good feeling, and my gut is rarely wrong."

Viktor wished he could beg Feliks to stay. He wanted to tell him how much this town needed him, how much he needed him. There were so many things Viktor wanted to know, and so much left unsaid. Yet the entire caravan was waiting on its leader.

"I'm afraid I must go," said Feliks. "But take heart, Viktor. Remember, you are the breaker of the Silent Deal, the hope of the Cards, the secret terror to our foes. A man like that is never alone."

"But what if it feels like I am?" Viktor whispered.

Feliks offered up a gnarled, one-eyed smile. "Well, in those moments, use this trick: Look around."

Look around—that was genius advice of Feliks the clever? Viktor's shoulders sunk as he watched Feliks clamber up onto his horse beside Florica. Nearby, Romulus pulled away from Evenova to mount his own horse. It was pointless for Viktor to try and fight the despair that stabbed at his heart. His old and new friends were ready to leave. The moment had come. Feliks tipped his rediscovered black top hat, but strangely did not look at Viktor and Evenova, but past them.

Finally following Feliks' advice, Viktor looked around and felt his heart leap. A new group had gathered under the dark cover of the trees, the ones that Viktor had missed most of all.

"Farewell, Feliks," said the man at the head of the group.

Feliks nodded, still grinning. "Vassi, Starsha, farewell old friends. Do keep an eye on that son of yours."