Chapter 1 -- Brooke

One — Brooke

"Daddy!" my 4 year old screamed, running up to a man with bubblegum pink hair in the middle of the shop. I could feel my face flushing as I chased after her. What was she thinking?

The man looked down at the child attached to his leg. "Do I know you?"

"Will you be my daddy?" Sara asked the man, stars in her eyes.

"I am so sorry about this," I tell him once I catch up to her. "She's normally very shy."

The man just laughed as I tried to pry Sara away from him, but that child had a death grip like no other. "I wish I could say this was the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me in public," he said. He had a nice laugh. Bright eyes too. I had no idea why Sara thought his guy was her dad, but I had to admire her taste in men; not many 4-year-olds go for the skinny jeans/band tee/eyebrow-piercing type when they think of their dads.

Seeing that I was getting nowhere with removing Sara from his leg, he reached down and easily lifted her up into his arms. "I'm Michael by the way."

"Brooke," I replied, brushing my blonde hair from my face. "And this is Sara. Sweetie, why did you run away?"

"Because he has pink hair," she said tugging on Michael's hair. "And pink is my favorite color, like Pinkalicious which is my favorite book."

I took her back from Michael and laughed, "Yeah, I know it's your favorite book. I read it to you every night."

"Why did you call me your daddy?" Michael asked her. Instead of being angry or annoyed, he only looked amused. Thank god for that. I can't handle any more lawyers.

"Because I don't have a daddy, and you look nice, and I think my mommy would like you," Sara explained. I smiled and shook my head at her logic.

I apologized to Michael again. "She doesn't normally play matchmaker."

"Yeah, but she's adorable," Michael said pulling a face at Sara. She giggled and stuck out her tiny tongue at him.

"Well, thank you for not yelling at her—or me—like other people would," I said, angling myself to leave and continue grocery shopping.

"Oh, it's no problem," Michael replied. I nodded and turned to go. "Wait," he said with a hand on my shoulder. I stiffened.

"What is it?" I asked, trying to keep my voice even as I turned to look at him. Don't think of that night.

"Would you like to put her theory to the test?" Michael asked.

"Theory?" I asked with a smile.

"That I look nice and she thinks you would like me," he smirked. On him the smirk didn't look cocky, just adorable.

"Are you asking my mommy on a date?" Sara asked with wide eyes.

"Yes, I am," Michael said without hesitation.

I was silent for a moment, trying to think of a polite response. Thanks, but I'm a little busy with Sara right now. Maybe some other time. Are you sure you want to date a 20-year-old single mother?

Sara, sensing that I was going to decline his invitation, jumped in. "Mommy, say yes!"

Michael just laughed with her. "Aw, come on. For the kid?"

A small giggle escaped my lips. "Fine, for the kid."

Sara cheered as we exchanged numbers with a promise to figure out details later that day. As we said good-bye in the bread aisle, I had no idea that Sara had just turned my life around for the second time.