Part 2

I walked into the conference room with a strange confidence and a bounce in my step. For once in my life I knew exactly what I wanted and what I needed to do to make it happen.

“I’ve made a decision on which team member we should lose” I announced to the directors “me” I surveyed their faces. The blank expressions on their faces said it all. I’d worked it all out. Claire could quite easily take over my role – she was my right hand girl. She just lacked a bit of confidence but I was sure that would come with time and the extra responsibility. I had 100% faith in her ability.

As I expected the directors were surprised and taken aback by my announcement. They tried to persuade me to stay; I was a valuable member of the team, etc, etc. Once I’d explained why I was leaving they understood a little more. I had 2 weeks to tie up my loose ends, say my goodbyes and head off to my adventure in the sun. I broke the news to the team and there were a few tears, mainly from me. Claire was completely floored that I’d put her forward as my replacement. We’d decided to have an impromptu ‘do in the pub after work. I only agreed to go as a celebration for Claire’s promotion and not a leaving party.  

“You’re not getting out of throwing me a massive going away party” I told them.

I sat at home that night and looked around my little flat. I was gonna miss this place. Maisie jumped up and curled up on my lap. How on earth was I going to cope without her? My parents had agreed to take her for me for the 6 months. I really needed to teach them how to Skype in the next 2 weeks. Claire had agreed to flat-sit for me to I didn’t have to worry about leaving it empty for all those months. She still lived with her parents and was relishing the opportunity to have some space of her own for a while. I’d packed a couple of boxes and sent them ahead to Australia – a few home comforts, Tetley teabags – don’t know why but I wasn’t sure if they’d have them, most of my handbag collection – I was pretty sure I’d need all of them at some point and some photos – digital copies were ok but you can’t hang them on walls. I needed my friends and family around me on this journey. I was given a briefing from Mike, the Editor and Julie, the Deputy Editor during a 4 hour meeting. They told me exactly what they wanted from me. I was arriving on Wednesday evening (local Sydney time). I would have the weekend to find my feet and Mon would be when my first blog/article would be due. They recommended that I do some research & have an idea of what I wanted to do my first blog on before I left to give me a head start. I had some ideas.

I tapped on my keyboard and typed out an email.

“and Send” I said to myself. I was nervous but if my idea worked out I’d have my first blog.

I made my way to the kitchen and started to fix Maisie her tea. While she chomped her way through her favourite Chicken & Rice I heard a ping from my laptop. I had a reply.

The time flew by, it was a mix of tying up loose ends at work, upskilling Claire on the stuff she wasn’t sure of, a couple of amazing parties – one for work and one thrown by my friends and family, and meetings with my new employers. I’d done all my prep work and research for my first blog and keeping everything crossed it would work out just fine. The day came for me to board my flight to Sydney. Maisie had already gone to my parents, there was just me at the flat. I jumped into the taxi and headed off to the airport. My stomach didn’t just have butterflies, there was a whole goddamn aviary in there.

The flight was broken up by a layover in Singapore. I spent most of the 2 flights on my laptop typing up the prologue to my first blog. It kept me busy and seemed to calm my nerves. I was a nervous flyer and being all by myself didn’t help matters.

Pulling up at the building my apartment was in I had to do a double-take. “Err Are you sure this is the right address?” I asked the driver.

“Yep” he replied.

It was a really swanky new building overlooking the beach. This couldn’t possibly be where I was going to live for the next 6 months. I’d already been so lucky.

The driver jumped out and helped me with my cases from the boot. I paid him and stood there on the pavement looking up and the rather imposing building. I felt a little out of place in my travelling clothes, a pair of black leggings and a T-shirt with a pair of trainers. I knew it was going to be a long day so went for comfort over style. Crikey, If I was gonna live here I would seriously have to up my game.

I headed through the front door and was shocked to find a reception desk with a guy sat behind it.

“Hi” the guy said. He was dressed in a smart white shirt with a navy blue tie.

Oh my god, my building has a doorman. Wait was that what you call them. Receptionist, Concierge, who knows. My building had a guy!!!

“Hi” I replied

“You must be Miss Brooks” he rose from his seat and walked around the side of the desk “Im Justin” he said extending his hand out to me

“Hi. Nice to meet you. And please call me Alex, I said to him. I haven’t been called Miss Brooks since school”

“Well Alex, would you like a hand with those up to your apartment. I can give you the rundown on the area on the way up if you like?”

“Yeah thanks, that would be great” he grabbed one of my cases and walked over to the lift

He told me where the best places to eat were, the best pubs/clubs, and the things I should add to my to-do list while I was there. He showed me into the apartment and I did my best not to look too shocked. It was hard. It was amazing. It was really light and airy, and the main living space was open plan. The kitchen was over to the left, the lounge and dining areas were to the right. My eyes were drawn straight ahead.

“OH MY GOD” I squealed. Yep I didn’t manage to maintain my cool composure any longer “I have a balcony!!!!”

I dropped my case and ran towards the balcony.

“I see the beach” I turned to Justin.

“Err yeah, all the apartments have a beach view“. He looked slightly surprised by my reaction but smiled anyway.

“I’m sorry” I apologised, trying to recover myself “I’ve always wanted to have an ocean view. This is amazing”

“Yes, It is a lovely view. I get to see it every day so I guess I’m just used to it. It’s nice to see it through someone else’s eyes” He said following me onto the balcony.  

It was getting late, the sun was setting. It may have been Autumn back in the UK but it was Spring here in Sydney. The weather was warm; about 15 degrees although I’m told this is quite cool for them. They were heading into the build-up to Summer. We stood staring out at the view and Justin kindly pointed out a few places of interest to me. He seemed a nice guy, I wasn’t sure whether it was because it was his job or if he was just naturally friendly. He was a surfer, go figure. Wasn’t everyone who lived in Bondi?

I thanked Justin and promised to buy him a beer if I saw him in the pub – he wasn’t allowed to accept tips apparently. I unpacked my cases and walked the apartment. I should really try to get some sleep to get my body clock onto Sydney time but I was far too excited for that. I grabbed my keys & purse and headed out the door for a walk. I decided a walk along the promenade, breathing in the sea breeze might tire me out enough to sleep. I headed across Campbell Parade and down onto the promenade. The pictures I'd seen online and in the brochures had not done this place enough justice. Even in the dark the place was vibrant with colours. I knew where I was heading. The place I’d seen so many times on the TV screen. I wanted a glimpse of the Bondi Lifeguard tower. It was only a few minutes’ walk from my building and I knew it would be all closed up at that time of night. I just wanted to see it up close. Maybe then this would feel less like a dream.