Chapter 15

I woke up to a white ceiling. It took a while for my eyes to open and adjust, but once they finally did, I realized that I wasn't at home. I stared up at the ceiling for what felt like a couple of minutes, thinking about what happened. I couldn't remember anything after babysitting. I don't remember the drive home or anything.

I looked around the room and took in my surroundings. There was a lot of color. There we flowers, and stuffed animals. It was all really cute, but I was curious as to why. Why is all this here, and why am I in this room.

Then I saw someone lying on a little chair in the corner of the room. It was Harry. He layed there in an uncomfortable position.

"Harry?" My call came out as a whisper instead of a call.

I was surprised. I didn't even sound like myself. It was as if I hadn't spoken for hours.

"Harry?" I kept calling. My voice getting louder and louder each time. It wasn't until it was almost my normal speaking range that he jumped up. He looked at me as if he didn't believe I was here. Then he rubbed his eyes and looked at me.

"Maria?" He walked closer to me. "Maria? Please tell me this is real." He was by my bed side now. He placed my hands into his.

As I looked at him, I realized that he had dark circles and bags under his eyes. He looked tired.

"Harry. What happened? Where am I?" My voice was still shaky, but it was getting better.

"You're in the hospital. Do you remember anything?" He had worry in his eyes.

"No. I mean, I remember going to babysit, but that's it. What happened? Why am I here?" He looked down. "Harry. Please tell me what's going on."

"You," he stuttered. "You were in a car accident." He kept looking down. "You were on your way home from babysitting, and I had called you to see if you wanted to get dinner. Then you screamed and the phone cut off. I got to were you were and." He stopped. He was crying. He squeezed my hands a little bit then looked into my eyes. "You were in the drives seat unconscious. Your heart was beating slowly and you were dying. You had glass in your stomach and everywhere else. There was a lot of blood." I reached up and hugged him. He cried into my shoulder for a couple of minutes while I told him it was ok. That I am ok. "I could have lost you," he kept repeating.

He had stopped crying but I was still holding him. Then I let him go and moved a little in the hospital bed to make room for Harry.

"Come and lay down with me." He nodded and moved onto the bed. We layed there, me in his arms for a couple of minutes.

"How long have I been in here?" He stayed silent for couple of seconds before answering.

"Almost 4 months."

"Wait what?" I looked at him in shock.

"You were in a coma." He took in a deep breathe then let it out. "We celebrated your birthday. That's why it's all decorated in here. Your family has been here for the last couple of months, and everyone's been taking shifts on watching you; you're family, Diana, the boys, Mary-Beth, and myself."

"Oh my gosh. How is everyone?"

"They're all ok."

"I should call them. Let them know I'm ok and all. I should-"

"Babe. It's 11 at night on a Monday. Everyone's asleep." I sat up all the way now, not minding the cords attached to my body.

"Did you just call me babe?"

"Ya. Do you not like me calling you that?"

"No. No. I like it." I gave him a smile "It makes me happy." I layed down in his arms.

We layed there for a couple of minutes. I was just listening to his breathing and drawing swirls on his chest with my finger.

"Does everyone have night shifts?" I asked him.

"No. Just me."

"So you stay here every once in a while?"

"Every night." I stopped tracing his chest and looked up at him.

"Every night?" He shook his head. How could he sleep here every night? "Where did you sleep?"

"On that chair." He pointed to the chair in the corner. The one he was sitting on when I woke up.

"You're joking." He shook his head. "That chair looks so uncomfortable. How could you even sleep?"

"I didn't really sleep. I would try to stay up just in case you woke up." I felt sorry for him. I couldn't believe the pain he went through.

The dark circles under his eyes were more noticeable now. "Thank you. Thank you for everything. You really mean a lot to me Harry."

"You're welcome." He kissed my forehead. "Now let's get some rest."

I layed back down. "Ok. Goodnight Harry."

"Goodnight babe." We layed there for some time and my eyes started to feel heavy.

Harry was playing with my hair. "Don't leave me," he whispered in my ear.

"I won't leave you. We're meant to be." I kissed his cheek then fell asleep.