Wednesday, August 21

Today was going good. Until I saw what was on the roof.

My day started with me telling my Granddad about Frank. I found out that he knew Franks father. In fact, Billy(Franks dad) was Granddads apprentice in bounty hunting. I also found out that Frank's house is on the way to the school, so Colton and I picked him up and we all walked together.

When we got to the school the bell had just rung. Colton and Frank ran with the others inside. I just stood there and watched the scenery. It had just rained and the fog was setting in. It billowed over the top of the school and spilled over, covering my feet. There was something odd about this. It didn't look or feel like fog. More like smoke. There was someone on the roof doing something they shouldn't.

I felt two pairs of hands on either arm. Colton smiled and started to pull on my arm, saying "You don't want to be late don't you?"

Franks expression was more sad and understanding. He knew I was uneasy and suspected the reason why.

I shook my head and plastered a smile on my face. "Let's go then."

I let them drag me along the halls. Colton went to his locker to get books. Frank already had all of his. I asked him to step behind the locker door so Colton couldn't hear us as well.

"There is something on the roof." I pointed above us. "It isn't good." 

He nodded. His face twisted with concentration. I knew he was making a diversion in his head. "I got it." He whispered. "Here's the plan--"

Frank was interrupted by a locker slamming shut. Colton had closed my locker and was puzzling at us. I smiled and waved.

"So. . ." He said awkwardly, shooting a mean look at Frank. "We have English first." Colton threw a thumb behind him. "We better get going."

We walked with me in the middle with Colton on my left and Frank on my right. Unconsciously(I'm sure) Colton grabbed my hand. I tensed but quickly regained my senses. He was oblivious to the fact that our hands were touching now.

Sitting in our regular seats, Frank slipped me a note. I unfolded it and read it.

The Plan. Act like you are sick and we will both "go to the nurse" but actually go to the roof. Ok with you?

I smiled and glanced at him, slightly nodding. Suddenly, Frank doubled over, Clutching his abdomen. Calling the teacher over, he asked "My stomach hurts. Can I go to the nurse?" He got a pass and walked/limped out of the classroom.

I waited a good 15 minutes so the teacher didn't suspect anything. I called her over and said I had a spine breaking migraine. It wasn't a total lie. I was not looking forward to anything about this school year and whatever was on the roof.

I should have known that Colton would have suspected something was going on with Frank and I. I glanced at him. His head was down, looking at his paper, but I could see his jaw tense and a vain on his neck pop out a little.

I bit my lip. I didn't want to make him mad. Frank and I were just friends. Nothing more, nothing less. I will have to explain to Colton later.

I met Frank out in the hall. "What took you so long? It has been forever!" Frank threw up his hands in protest and walked in circles, rambling on about what he has been doing out here all alone.

I stifled a laugh. "Come on." I said. "We have some investigating to do."

Every time we passed someone, we acted sick and showed them our pass. Finally we got to the door that led to the roof.