David (2013)

Date: January 1, 2016

Director:Bejoy Nambiar

Writers:
Bejoy Nambiar
Natasha Sahgal

Producers:
Bejoy Nambiar
Sharada Trilok
Vikram

Starring:
Jiiva as David Noel
Chiyaan Vikram as David/Kirukku Santa
Tabu as Frenny
Ishani Sharvani as Roma
Lara Dutta as Gayathri

Song of the Review (Kanave Kanave-Anirudh Ravichander)

kanave kanave kalaivadheno (dream! dream! why got scattered?)
karangal ranamaai karaivadheno (why hand gets dissolved with wound?)
ninaive ninaive alaivadheno (thought! thought! why its roaming?)
enadhu uzhagam udaivadheno..(my world!! why its breaking?)

Scene of the Review

David Noel (Jiiva), an aspiring musician, teaches music to Gayathri, a single mother. After his father is publicized as someone who would try to convert the people in the neighbourhood to Christianity (he is a Protestant Christian priest), Gayathri's father looks down on David. He misinterprets their friendship. He thinks David is trying to lead Gayathri astray. He warns Gayathri about David as she has a child and the friendship might be looked down upon. It was his own way of disapproving of David. It is also a way of protecting Gayathri from any future maligning (that's my word of the day) Gayathri takes her father's warnings to heart the next time she meets David. She tells him that she does not want any more music lessons. This is code for "never meet me again".

When I saw this scene, I felt so sympathetic towards David. It was not his fault that his father was accused of trying to spread his religion to the poor people in the vicinity even though that was not what he was doing at all. He just wants to be a musician. That is all! When Gayathri told him to not come to her place anymore, Gayathri's true colours came out. I had so much hope when Gayathri was comforting David when his father was wrongly accused. It showed that out of all of the people in this world, she would always believe him. After she adhered to her father's words, she became one of those people who scorned him. Even if she did not malign him on the outside, she did somewhat malign him on the inside. This is what hurts the most. It is heartbreaking to know the person whom you believed in the most is the same person who secretly mocked you.

General Comments

Can't decide what movie to watch on New Years Day? Watch David! (This totally sounded like a promotion; well maybe, that is what I am doing) There is nothing better than curling up in a blanket, with a bag of popcorn and spending New Years watching David!

After watching Jiiva's acting in Nanban (no, I did not review this movie), I wanted to see another Jiiva movie. I was not disappointed with his movie. With a great cast and an awesome soundtrack, this movie is the one for you.

Although this movie was a story of two people with the same name, it was interesting to see how the two people were connected. The part where they connected is when the movie got interesting. It was fine that the movie showed the lives of two different people in two different time periods, but I was waiting for the inner scoop of the story. The inner scoop of the story was when Jiiva turned out to be the priest of Peter's and Roma's marriage. Vikram happened to be at the wedding (I am referring to the actors by their stage names because both actors bear the same name in the movie) when the two meet. Jiiva thanks Vikram for not interfering with the wedding. Not only would interfering the wedding processions cause unnecessary drama amongst the crowd, but it would also bring shame to Roma. When an alliance is broken, the girl is usually blamed. After all, boys will be boys (double standards much?). As a result, it becomes difficult to find another prospective groom. It was because of this foresight that Vikram did not break of Peter's wedding (and the fact that Peter actually liked Roma).