Roots

"Danny, what the hell is wrong with you?" his big shot producer, Mike cut off the music.

"Nothing," he answered, "Just run it again."

"We've been recording for over 4 hours. Go home and get your shit together."

Danny grabbed his guitar case and threw his leather jacket on. He knew exactly what Mike was talking about. His songs gradually grew worse after realizing they were all phony radio songs with no greater meaning. He wanted to change but couldn't, or didn't know how.

"What happened to you? You've been in this funk for months. Go back to your roots."

Roots...  roots... An idea struck Danny so hard he nearly got run over by a bus while walking down the street. "Wait!" He waved at a taxi and headed to the airport, then on a flight to Amsterdam. Danny arrived at his old college, where he first fell in love with music. He stood infront of a building larger than life with only his guitar, taking in the presence of his past and essence of his being.

He strolled through the great marble and ivory hallways, gliding a few fingers on the walls while passing by. It was unusually silent until he reached the D wing. The vague but charming sound was a woman singing. Her voice sounded like a siren song, pulling Danny closer and closer to the room until he could not grasp how or when he got there.

"Hello?" her voice was feminine but firm.

Danny was speechless and dumbstruck, " Uh sorry I-I-I was just looking around. Uhm," he cleared his throat, " Y-you have a lovely voice." He rocked his body back and forth while she slightly raised her eyebrows waiting for more.

"Okay I'll leave now..." he slowly turned around.

"Wait, stay," she half shouted. "Sorry, I'm just a bit surprised. Danny right? From The Script?"

"Yeah, uh I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you."

"It's alright," she smiled, "I'm Jane." She walked over to a small wooden table and poured two cups of tea, "so what are you doing in Amsterdam? I thought you moved to the US."

"I did but I thought I'd come back here for some... inspiration. Things haven't been so smooth. What you're doing here?"

"Well, I'm a student here, originally from America but I wanted to study afar. It is my last year and I'm trying to kick start my singing career and maybe sign with a label. Pretty much my story."

" What were you singing before?"

"Oh it's a song I wrote," she handed him a paper with messy yet elegantly written lyrics. "I've been working on it for a while now but I just can't come up with a transition from the verses to the chorus." Jane picked up her acoustic and showed  him.

"How about," Danny took out his guitar, "Shed some love tonight, give all your love tonight, spare me some love tonight" he continued with the song and she harmonized with him. It automatically became clear that their talents were a perfect match for each other.